Rose hair T minimal eating for a year

ariann

Arachnopeon
Hi! I'm new here. I signed up because I'm concerned about my tarantula, Eloise. When I got her 3 years ago they told me she was still young and would want to live in a smaller tank so I bought one that was 6"×12"×8". She has been happy and eating a few times a month unless she was about to molt. She was molting every 6 months until about 9 months to a year ago. She hasn't molted or really eaten since. She's had maybe 2 crickets in a year. I read that that it's fairly normal but I thought maybe she's ready for a larger tank so I got her a bigger one a few months ago. No change in eating and her abdomen has definitely shrunk. I have offered her cockroaches because I heard they really like those but she won't eat. Any information or advice would be appreciated! TIA, Ari

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Pictures would help, as always.

Sounds just like a rosie being a rosie. I really wouldn't worry too much if I were you. Has her abdomen darkened at all?

louise f

Arachnoangel
They can fast for a long time. But as EulersK says pictures would help.
And another thing, does it have a always full water dish. :)

Welcome aboard. ;)

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Moulting every six months does indicate a younger spider, but they do go to the once a year mark almost overnight. Providing photos of the enclosure and the tarantula enables people to help you, as others have already brought up. Without them, it is almost impossible to shed any light on the situation.
However, chances are she is acting normal. There were times with my G. rosea, Evelyn, that I would have been happy with two crickets a year.
The abdomen shrinking is cause for concern, though.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
as the others have said, it's not uncommon, especially with rosies, to fast for long... and I mean LONG periods of time. 9 months is nothing for this species. If her abdomen is shrinking then, unless it has a wrinkled appearance, likely it will be fine. If her abdomen is shriveled looking or wrinkled the problem is more likely to be a hydration issue. Make sure she's got a full dish of fresh, clear water and she should plump back up. :)

magicmed

Arachnobaron
As others have said, it's normal for this species to fast for long periods of time, they're kind of like the ball python of the spider world (there have been stories of ball python fasting for 18 months and being perfectly healthy, I've personally had one go about 8 months without a meal)

The shrinking abdomen may be a bit of a red flag, does the T have a nice full water dish at all times?

As others have said, anything is speculation unless we can see the T in question, and the enclosure. :)

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
My G.rosea went on a fast for almost 18 months as long as you always have the water dish full and her enclosures not to big causing stress she should be fine :)

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
oh CB.. you and your logic... pfft!

seriously though, good question hah.