Rose Hair Butt-wipe??

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I almost forgot I was going to post this!!! Last night, my new brown-phase rosie was unusually active, so of course I had to sit down and watch.

I just brought her home Saturday and got her all situated Sunday afternoon. She settled in immediately and ate a big fat cricket right away.

Later, she walked confidently over to her new, clean water dish, put in all 8 legs and bent over and dunked her face in the water, she stood like that for approx. 3 minutes, then she turned around and positioned her butt over the water, pooped, then dunked her butt IN the water 2 or 3 times. Then she walked from the water dish, dragging her butt on a leaf (Like little poodle dogs do when they have worms!) Then she started cleaning herself.

I kinda freaked, did a get an obsessive/compulsive T?:?

Beth-Tex

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
LOL =D
Have never seen this type of behaviour before.

Maybe she is toilet trained & cleans herself up afterwards?:D =D

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
:? I was wondering if I should supply her with a little roll of Charmin?:?

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is so cute!!!!!

You have to post a pic of her.

lmao!

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
that is fantastic! what awesome behavior. my reptiles do this sometimes.

Kristin:}

LCDXX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My A. Avic "Kefka" has mastered the art of potty-training. I've come home almost daily and found that he's taking quite a dump in his water dish. Of course, I immediately take it out and wash it up and give him fresh water... which makes me wonder if he's figured this out. Part of me thinks he does, but then I realize that Ts are practically "organic robots" with little or no thought process outside of defense/offense/hunger/breeding.

But hey, I love to instill a lot of character into my animals - to the point of which it's almost rediculous.

LCDXX

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hmm, i don't know if i'd consider it "cute" (;P)), but I found my E.campestratus doing the same thing!

im wondering why in the hell she was doing it :)

I hope thats not T behaviour for drowing mites-on-the-butt =D... (joshing of course... i hope!)

man, there's so much we still don't know about these guys. Those crazy T's huh!

peace,
dave

Last edited:

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Wow!

That's a clean young lady you have there - smart, too! If she pooped, then drank.....

She knows how to stay fresh, whatta woman!

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Well, how do we know they don't poop in water in the wild... maybe to fool predators??? Well, her official name is now Charmin!! And I'm sure she's going to keep me busy cleaning water dishes!!

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Have you guys read the latest issue of Invertebrates magazine? There is a short article by Darrin Vernier (and Wade Harrell, I think?) about his adult male T. blondi that would hit his water dish against the side of the tank when it was empty. You might think that it was just an odd individual behavior except that some of his other tarantulas started to do the same thing! It wasn't just Darrin, either, another keeper noticed the same behavior. Personally, I wouldn't call tarantulas "organic robots" with very limited mental abilities.

Oh, you shouldn't call it Charmin, you should call it "Bidet" after those weird european toilet things. I actually have one in my bathroom. It was in the house when I bought it. How the hell do you use those things without making a godawful mess? :D

Karen N.

Last edited:

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Bidet! LOL!!! Oh the visual... yuck! (I think you need to keep a mop handy when you use them!!!)

I personally don't think they are instinct driven robots either. Explain why my Rosie climbs on my hand and gets in the same position each time? She wants me to wrap my hand around her loosely and play human burrow!!

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The Orange Usambra Baboon poops in her Water dish as well. So my husband has to clean it all the time as well.

LCDXX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Explain why my Rosie climbs on my hand and gets in the same position each time. She wants me to wrap my hand around her loosely and play human burrow!!
It doesn't require explanation, for one. In fact, you're very fortunate to have a Rosie that's that relaxed in your presence. But don't forget that even the most basic life forms can function outside of instinct - it's called experience. And though she may be playing "human burrow" to you and I, her perception of it is more likely to be "warm. dark. safe."

The term "organic robots" wasn't meant to be an insult to Ts or scorpions. Yet, you can't escape the fact that their roles in life (ie predation, reproduction) are more or less predetermined through heredity and evolution and that alone is the only reason why they survive to this day. Not because they know when it's time to change their water or play peek-a-boo.

And, hey, I've observed my critters for some time now and have characterized them based on their actions and behaviors - they genuinely are cute creatures and they do the darndest things!

Like Dave said, there's still so much we don't know about these creatures.

LCDXX

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
It's only "human nature" for us to attribute these actions as intelligent, thought out acts, isn't it!!:D