Role of large pet store chains in the hobby

Did you enter the hobby with a T purchase from PetCo or PetSmart?

• Yes, with an Avicularia avicularia

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Yes, with a Grammostola porteri or Grammostola rosea

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • No, with a tarantula of different origin (feel free to elaborate)

Votes: 41 78.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jabberwock

Arachnopeon
I purchased my first T at a reptile expo. She was a rose hair. Soon after purchased a few slings at another expo.

leaveittoweaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My first tarantula was a G.Porteri. My aunt's boss had kids that had a pet tarantula they weren't taking care of any more. So I said I'd take it. Since then I've only bought from local pet stores that know what they are doing or expos, or online dealers.

Rogerpoco

Arachnopeon
I was looking for blue-bottle flies to feed baby mantids. Google search,GBB popped up in images,couldn't believe it wasn't photoshopped.
Kinda afraid of spiders in general,but had to have it-LPS(not a chain)had slings...for 90$. Wife wasn't buying it,haha. Went home unhappy,but she let me spend a very few more bucks that evening,on the worldwidenetweb,my "first" T wound up being my first seven T's(including the GBB)from Kelly Swift,arrived 2 days later.

I will say,though-My first Avic WAS an A. avic from Petsmart,7 months into keeping. I love all my T's,but have really settled on being an "avic guy",I really like them a lot.
Unfortunately,that first A. avic is a MM now,and I'm not as sure as Petsmart was that it is an A. avic. I so want to breed,big-scale,big time,lotta projects close. But he has to live a life of celibacy,because I'm just not sure. Photo I.D. no good,too many stories about that not being reliable,I want all my breeding attempts(intents,lol)to be as 100% legit sp. as possible.