Robber flies--bee eaters?

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Was out inspecting the goldenrod and got buzzed by a freaky lookin one this morning...big, bug eyed, tiger striped, long tail with black ovipositor--I'm thinking it was a bearded robber fly Promachus rufipes maybe? Didn't know we had those around here, but as many insects live in the goldenrod it doesn't surprise me at all to see predatory types hanging around

In fact--do they prey on bees? My roommate put in two beehives in late spring, and all year our yard has been full of dragonflies, now I'm seeing the robbers; he says tehy come for the water from where he waters plants, I think they're preying on stray bees.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Was out inspecting the goldenrod and got buzzed by a freaky lookin one this morning...big, bug eyed, tiger striped, long tail with black ovipositor--I'm thinking it was a bearded robber fly Promachus rufipes maybe? Didn't know we had those around here, but as many insects live in the goldenrod it doesn't surprise me at all to see predatory types hanging around

In fact--do they prey on bees? My roommate put in two beehives in late spring, and all year our yard has been full of dragonflies, now I'm seeing the robbers; he says tehy come for the water from where he waters plants, I think they're preying on stray bees.
robber flies are everywhere..they have all kinds of shapes an sizes.
i have collected some neat ssp and some of mine look just like a bumble bee.
they do eat bees and whatever else they can.