Roaches and Shellfish Allergy

Poffypoffa

Arachnosquire
I've seen some people online say that keeping roaches (for example, as feeders) can cause you to develop a shellfish allergy. I know that due to certain similarities people who are allergic to shellfish can be allergic to roaches too, but it seems hard to believe that exposure to roaches would itself cause an allergy to shellfish. Is that really a thing, and if so, how much exposure is safe? Are there any precautions to take?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I've seen some people online say that keeping roaches (for example, as feeders) can cause you to develop a shellfish allergy. I know that due to certain similarities people who are allergic to shellfish can be allergic to roaches too, but it seems hard to believe that exposure to roaches would itself cause an allergy to shellfish. Is that really a thing, and if so, how much exposure is safe? Are there any precautions to take?
I’ve heard of people becoming allergic to the frass or droppings but I’ve kept roaches many years and not had any allergies. 🤧
I don’t see how they would make you allergic to shellfish let other people know!! If you’re correct I’d be surprised and shocked 😳!
I would think you would have hold shrimp or something as pets to become allergic??🤷

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
The frass, especially the microscopic sharp flakes of exoskeleton aren't good to breathe, hence people who deal in feeders wear respirators and stuff, long term who knows... It's hit me pretty good a couple times when I'm leaning over like a dummy banging roaches out to feed, but only lasts 5 minutes.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I haven't had any issues with roaches so far. Sometimes I wear a face mask when dealing with my E. posticus orange head roaches as they emit the most foul smell when they are disturbed. I had one that shot butt juice at me once. It's like they know the difference between when I'm feeding them or feeding them to my T's. That's when they are in the bin not when I'm saying goodbye to them as they drop in the T's enclosure.

Blooming Doom

Arachnopeon
Classifieds User
No problems with shellfish, but absolutely devastating allergy to the roaches. Never used to be like that, but after years of keeping them, it’s unbearable without a respirator.

Eyes watering, itching welts just from touching them, and throat closes and sneezing/coughing.. I tried branching out into other species besides dubia, but seems to be a problem for all lol

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
No problems with shellfish, but absolutely devastating allergy to the roaches. Never used to be like that, but after years of keeping them, it’s unbearable without a respirator.

Eyes watering, itching welts just from touching them, and throat closes and sneezing/coughing.. I tried branching out into other species besides dubia, but seems to be a problem for all lol
That sounds severe...and scary...do you experience any wheezing when you say your throat closes, or does it not affect your ability to move air?

Blooming Doom

Arachnopeon
Classifieds User
That sounds severe...and scary...do you experience any wheezing when you say your throat closes, or does it not affect your ability to move air?
I usually immediately stop feeding when it gets that bad but I imagine it would only get worse; usually I’m sneezing uncontrollably like every minute 💀 Cleaning out the bins to reduce frass and stuff doesn’t seem to make much of a difference too :(

MariaLewisia

Arachnoknight
I've bred mealworms for 11 years, dubia for maybe 6-7, and red runners for 2. I have developed a slight allergy to mealworm frass from touching it and cleaning without proper protection during my first years of keeping them, but the allergy is mild and I only notice it if I put my bare face into the bin. My nose clogs and itches and my throat hurts slightly. I use a respirator mask when I clean it and have no issues. I'm only a bit sensitive to the dubias with similar symptoms. I have no allergy to shellfish either.

Interestingly, I decided to give crickets a shot a couple of weeks ago. I've never kept a colony so I thought it'd be an interesting project. As soon as I opened the box they came in, my nose started itching like mad and my throat felt scratchy. I set them up anyway, thinking it was some loose mealworm frass lodged in there. Fast forward a week and I can barely go inside the room with the crickets anymore without sneezing and feeling like crap. I scrapped the whole thing and fed all of them to my animals. As soon as the crickets were gone, I could breathe in there again. My mealworm allergy has stayed mild, roach sensitivity as well. So... guess you could develop cricket allergies without actually exposing yourself to crickets?