Roach roommates

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
This may be a lame question but I'm a rookie. Are different breeds of roaches communal? I have 3 hissers but am interested in several different types and need to know if I have to keep them separated. Thankssss!

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Mixed species enclosures can be nice, but typically one species will outcompete the rest and you'll eventually be left with just one. There are ways you can either prolong the mix, such as picking species that have different behaviors or are vastly different in size. For instance, you could probably keep little Kenyan roaches (Paraplecta sp.) with your hissers as long as you keep the hissers somewhat moist and as long as there are pieces of bark and places for the little Kenyans to hide, they should do fine together.

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
Mixed species enclosures can be nice, but typically one species will outcompete the rest and you'll eventually be left with just one. There are ways you can either prolong the mix, such as picking species that have different behaviors or are vastly different in size. For instance, you could probably keep little Kenyan roaches (Paraplecta sp.) with your hissers as long as you keep the hissers somewhat moist and as long as there are pieces of bark and places for the little Kenyans to hide, they should do fine together.
Thank you!!! I think I'll start a multi layer viv station, like apartments haha.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Also you definitely shouldn't keep multiple species in the same genus together, as they can hybridize, (this includes Gromphadorhina), and hybrids are very frowned upon in the hobby.

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
Also you definitely shouldn't keep multiple species in the same genus together, as they can hybridize, (this includes Gromphadorhina), and hybrids are very frowned upon in the hobby.
Thank you, I would agree with the common consensus, I want to keep nature natural, I'm learning all I can about them and their natural habitat and want to try to duplicate it to the best of my ability.