Roach question

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How do you keep flying roaches such as Panchlora nivea (AWESOME looking roach tho bad they fly) in a container? would you get a Pop up net type deal that you might use for Mantids?

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A glass aquarium with a cover like they sell in stores wont allow them to fly away unless you leave the cover off.

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yea but when I open the terrium to feed them they could fly away, Im assuming.

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
yea but when I open the terrium to feed them they could fly away, Im assuming.
Green banana roaches--They will fly away if they get a chance. If you have the wrong container, they will rush up the sides and all fly out like a swarm? of moths when you open it, LOL. I had good luck using a container that slopes inward at the top- one of those big plastic pretzel jars from costco. Put vaseline on the sloped part only. They will run up the side when you open the jar, but won't fly at the top because the sloped part is above their heads and they can't run over the vaseline.

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
They are pretty easy to catch if they do fly awa though. They almost always fly to the nearest window and land on it if there is daylight outside.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I like the nymphs; they're calm, brown, and don't do insane zig-zag rushes across the floor if they manage to escape your hand/container.

The adults,..well, I keep mine in a cereal-container with lots of smaller drilled holes. I know the smallest nymphs can escape, but they don't unless I forget to mist for quite some time. They (the adults) don't all take off as soon as I open the lid, but at least one at a time tends to rush the opening.

They just turn so speedy, nervous and erratic when they become adult.

On a sidenote; has anyone had any P.nivea 'mutants'? I've had one or two with sort of blackish, big, hanging heads, a stiff wobbly walk (when they move at all) and a tendency to never stop moving after they've been hit by a pair of T fangs.

xelda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I keep mine in a standard 5.5 gallon glass tank. They have lots of substrate to dig in, lots of bark to hide under as well as lots of bark to climb up. You have to keep in mind that this species is arboreal, so both the nymphs and adults are always going to try to climb up as high as they can get. If you don't have any bark or hides for them to hang out on, the adults will just hang out on the lid of the cage.

They only try to fly out when you startle them, which happens pretty easily if they're on the lid of the cage when you open it. Otherwise, they don't really get bothered unless you're deliberately messing with them and trying to dig them out. After you keep them for awhile, you'll be able to tell when they're about to take off and fly. And then you can just cover them with substrate because the concealment calms them down.