Roach question

Bulldog08

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a quick question about some roaches. I'm getting some peppered roaches and want to add some rotten wood to their enclosure. Before I go out to my local woods and grab some and put it in the cage do I need to sterilize it? I don’t want to introduce any thing harmful to them; insects, mold, etc. Let me know what you guys do.

HepCatMoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i would defiantely sterilize anything you bring in from outside.

in order to sterilize anything (that doesnt melt) i just cook it in the oven.

Kagekumo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes sterilize what you plan to introduce and make sure to stay away from anything that has a cedar smell to it. The natural oils in cedar is an insecticide.

Acro

Aziz! Light!
Old Timer
Dont you have them already? lol

Hey buddy,

Cook the wood at 400 to 450 in the oven. Keep it slightly moist and let it cook for about 45 min. I used to have to cook wood for some beetles I was breeding.

Talk to you later.

Last edited:

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey buddy,

Cook the wood at 400 to 450 in the oven. Keep it slightly moist and let it cook for about 45 min. I used to have to cook wood for some beetles I was breeding.

Talk to you later.
Exactly what I do. Sunday nights...Family guy.

Acro

Aziz! Light!
Old Timer
yep, dead wood or dead and rotted wood. Just bake. But dont add cheese.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
to sterilize your wood you must nuke it , dead or rotten wood you must nuke it . nuke it nuke it good

DavidRS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I heat up the oven while I'm cooking dinner, put wood in during Family Guy. Family Guy is a half hour show, so I bake the wood for half an hour or so.
I thought you were using a recipe from Emeril Lagasse