Roach Colony Question

GAD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have been reading all the posts about feeding roaches not crickets...Sounds good I have already read up on Lobster Roaches and I think I will go with them...I read that pet stores dont sell good roaches or somthing so I thought raise my own. How many roaches do I need to keep in the colony? Or how big does the colony need to be to accomodate my 2.5" P. Murinas.? My guy hasnt eaten yet (only had him 8 days and he just molted) so I dont know his appetite. Where can I get Lobster Roach around Virginia? Anyhelp???

Thanks
Daniel...:confused:

GAD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have another Question, do you guys drop you T's food in his web or do you just let a few loose and let them find their way to his web? I have like 4 crickets in the cage but he never leaves his web and they really dont come around it. Thanks somemore!!!

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey. Welcome to the boards. Just FYI there is an insect section you can post roach questions on. No biggie though :D

Lobster roaches you would not need many of. Start with about 50 or so and they should be exploding before too long. YOu will still need to buy crickets for a while as the colony grows.

As for where to buy them, check the clasifieds section here on Arachnoboards. A lot of hobbyists and dealers sell on her.

Good luck.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
GAD said:
I have another Question, do you guys drop you T's food in his web or do you just let a few loose and let them find their way to his web? I have like 4 crickets in the cage but he never leaves his web and they really dont come around it. Thanks somemore!!!

If he hasn't eaten them you should take them out, especially if he is recently molted.

GAD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yea I checked the buy/sell boards and I PMed a guy about them....but sorry bout posten in the wrong place..And why is it bad for the crickets to be in there an him just molted???

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the crickets can stress the tarantula to death or start chewing on it and kill it. as a rule you should not offer more than one prey item at a time and remove all uneaten prey items within 24 hours. you should also not feed prior to a molt and for 3-7 days after a molt.