River Insect ID

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I found what I think is a newly eclosed stonefly two nights ago. If so, it's fairly exciting, because I didn't think I would be able to find clean enough water anywhere near me. 20170613_220003.jpg
Any guesses on ID? From a forested park in eastern MA, on a rock in a river. I have one other picture that's very similar to the above (I didn't want to bother the insect too much because it seemed like it had just molted and it wasn't moving around except when I touched it).

I'm hoping this thing was worth the incisors I broke later that night.

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
Yep, that's a stonefly. Not necessarily a freshly emerged individual though- some stoneflies have pale greenish or yellowish coloration throughout adulthood. This looks like it could be a member of the genus Isoperla.

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
I found what I think is a newly eclosed stonefly two nights ago. If so, it's fairly exciting, because I didn't think I would be able to find clean enough water anywhere near me. View attachment 243414
Any guesses on ID? From a forested park in eastern MA, on a rock in a river. I have one other picture that's very similar to the above (I didn't want to bother the insect too much because it seemed like it had just molted and it wasn't moving around except when I touched it).

Can you clarify?

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
@spotropaicsav Considering the background and lighting in the photo, I could make a good guess.

Nice find though. That's a groovy-lookin' hexapod.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Considering the background and lighting in the photo, I could make a good guess.
Actually I broke them in a different area in a pretty much unrelated way. I may make a thread if I feel like complaining. I'm really happy I found a stonefly, though, even though it was probably a common species.