Rio's Big Booty!

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
O.K., this might sound strange, but my female Rio Grande Gold has a HUGE butt!! (Sorry, Californiaspeak!) My Aphonopelma moderatum's opisthosoma seems unnaturally large! When I handle her, it kind of bounces up and down, like it's not attached right or something. And, when she's resting on my hand, she'll use her back 2 legs like a stand, putting them under her abdomen. Approximately 1 month ago, I noticed a pinhole oozing slowly, but not slowly enough that it would clot. So I put a dab of Super Glue on it and it's been fine since then... there's just a tiny little scab left. She appears to be approximately 20 days away from molt, and is in extremely good health. She's a great eater... I have never heard of a case of TARANTULA GOT BACK, any ideas?:?

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Um, how much are you feeding them? :confused: I have some fatties too, but not so fat that the abdomen oozes! :eek:

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
She eats 3-6 crickets a month.

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
OMG! T's dont get like that unless they eat alot of food... But 3-6 crickets a month:? thats NOT alot..... And is it a sling??? My A. Seemani eats like a horse and s/he has a FAT butt(I am also from California:} ).. Im sure its just going to be fine.....and you said s/he is going to be molting soon??

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Yes, probably 2-3 weeks from now. Her butt is about 1/3 bald and I can see the new hairs developing underneath.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
I wouldn't worry about the large butt. Do a search for posts by "Joy" on the forums and you'll see some T's with truly large butt's.

On another note, I would discontinue handling your T until after the molt at this point. It's been hypothesized that the time directly before a molt is just as vulnerable a time for a T as the time right after one. A completely new exoskeleton is currently being formed and if something damages it........Well, I'm sure you get the idea :)

Scott