Rio Grande Boo Boo

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
SAD NOTE: I DROPPED my A. moderatum, I’ve had her a year and handled her often and she’s NEVER bolted. (More proof that they LOVE to do the unexpected!) 1” split along the side of the opisthoma. Used Charmin and super glue and made a real neat bandage. She’s now at 85F and 90% humidity and resting. Made my first cricket mash (and held down my dinner while doing it by golly!) real watery, put in in a little plastic baby spoon up in her face and it’s disappearing very fast. I can’t remember EVER seeing her eat in a year! And no molt either. So, can everyone get down on all eight knees and say a little prayer for her?

Checked her this morning and on closer inspection, her opisthoma is only attached by a tiny bundle of long stringy things. She's ALWAYS had a problem holding her butt up and it's always jiggled when she walked. I had been wondering if it was too heavy for her, but now it just seems as if she had some kind of birth defect and I could never see it until now. She's doing weird push ups and then assuming the death posture, so I don't expect her to make it through the day.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
THANKS KYLE!!

P.S. I did and replied!:D

Kristen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hope she gets better!

Just got home from work and was browsing through todays posts, just wanted to wish your little guy good luck!

Nemesis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Terri,
I'm sorry to hear about your baby, and wanted to tell you I understand. Last Fri. during my spider talk, I was handling my B. smithi. She was my first ever T. and I raised her from a speck to a a beautiful mature Female. She has gone with me on every T Talk I've done and been a perfect model of composure and docility....until Fri. When she bolted off my arm and on to the floor in front of 60 Jr. high kids. She split her abdomen WIDE open and died immediately. It was not pretty and I feel like a beast. After ward a sweet 7th grader came up to me gave me a hug and said, "Don't worry Miss Kelly. She sacrificed her life for science so I'm sure she went to heaven." I dismissed class and cried myself sick.
I know you love your spiders like I do. I'm sorry and I hope you feel better.

Pax,
Kelly O:(

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i know what your talking about when you say your a. moderatum hasnt eaten or you haven't seen him eat in a while...mines been in pre-molt for about a month and a half now and hasn't even touched a cricket.

Risto

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
:( That is the saddest story I've ever heard!!!!:(

(I have tears in my eyes.) She was your first! You raised her from a speck! Oh for it to happen in front of an audience, too! I am SO SORRY! Well that sure worked, I'm thinking about you now, so not feeling at all sorry for myself! I hope you get over your loss soon.

I think that from now on, I will handle ONLY sitting down, ONLY with a table in front of me and ONLY with a cushion on the table! In fact, let's go to our respective K-Marts today and buy a nice, gushy cushion for our Ts! Shopping is the best medicine! Well, after listening to someone else's horrible story that is!

Thank you for sharing that, it must have been tough, but I feel better knowing someone understands and I hope you feel better too cuz I'm sending BIG OLE 8 LEGGED HUGS TO YOU!

Terri

Nemesis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank You

Terri: Thanks for your concern. Yes...I will never handle T's again without being seated and with something soft to cushion just in case. Thank you for your prayers. Please don't feel bad for me, though...I think we both need a break from feeling guilty and icky:)

Risto:
Where are you in Indiana, and do you know any good spider shops up there?

Pax,
Kelly O

Last edited:

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sorry you guys to hear about your T's. I know how you feel, a few months ago I left the cage open on my big A. chalcodes and she climbed out and fell to the floor. I did what I could for her but she didn't make it. She was soo cool, I took her to my kids school while I had her a the kids all loved her. Some people say" it's only a spider", but they are much more than that to us.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Durned Right They Are... THEY'RE OUR BABIES!!!

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Kelly,
i live in northwestern indiana...close to Gary and Valporaiso...about 20 minutes from chicago...there is a shop in a town called scherriville that sells just arachnids and herps and every month there is a rep. show in valpo....

Risto

Nemesis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
PSYCHE!!!!!!!!

Do you hear me screaming?????

We are in the process of relocating. Initially my husband's company had us moving to St. Louis, but now, we will be about an hour east of Chicago. I can't wait to get closer to the bug action!!! There is only 1 dealer in Tallahassee, and he has mostly Rosea, Aphonopelma seemani, etc. He used to have more, but it seems not many people around here are interested. I can't wait to get up North!!!!

Kelly O

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Caution

Sorry, MizM - good luck. How's she doing now? With that tear in her abdomen, she doesn't have the hydraulic pressure to extend her legs. I hope for the best.

My A. chalcodes fell after I put him/her back on the edge of the 'Keeper. It slid off the side, hit the desk, and fell on the carpet. I just about <doodied> my pants, but Chico(a) was ok, just startled. I see pic's from Bill and it looks as though he handles all his T's on a bed or couch - good idea.

Nemesis - sorry that your smithi died that way. :(

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Mebebraz - I have the 1 moderatrum and a new ap. sp. that I haven't identified yet.

D-Man-She was doing ALOT of stretching yesterday, hydraulics seem to doing way good.

PICTURE THIS: I'm sitting on the couch with a washcloth folded in fourths, little Rio on her back swaddled in the cloth. I'm giving her cricket mash with a little syringe and wiping her little face. My huband walks in and starts cracking up. Says, "If she doesn't make it, it won't be from lack of love!"

If you don't have a Braun hand blender to make cricket mash... get one!! They're cool! I used water, a little herp vitamin powder, and some fish food flakes (which contain FISH!) tossed in a few crix, and viola! Had a smooth, creamy, cricket shake for my little Rio! She took some of it and she IS perking up a little, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Schmidt's suggest gentle experimentation... I'm trying everything and anything. The only problems is... WE WON'T KNOW WHAT EXACTLY WORKED if she lives!!!!! Oh well, can't hurt at this point.

Hope the little visual made y'all smile!:D

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
ICU

That's real intensive care - you should be a nurse. That's one little lucky T. Sounds like she may pull through.

Dario

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by MizM
If you don't have a Braun hand blender to make cricket mash... get one!! They're cool! I used water, a little herp vitamin powder, and some fish food flakes (which contain FISH!) tossed in a few crix, and viola! Had a smooth, creamy, cricket shake for my little Rio!
I sincerely hope you are one of those women that does the dishes in the house.. I think I would kill a woman if she did something like that in my kitchen.

Bill

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Yes Bill, I DO do all the dishes in the house! But I DON'T cook. (For obvious reasons?!)

However, all things involving cricket guts and such are kept very separate from food serving stuff. I wash them in a plastic tub in the sink and use really hot water and then put them back in the "T Tool" drawer.

I've always said I don't mind a bug in my drink... as long as it's not a blended drink!:D