Ridiculous story about scorpion sting

Vixvy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi,

This idea just came to my mind. I wonder what FUNNY story does each country have with regards to scorpion sting....Especially the local/tribe people.

Here in the Philippines it is believed that a scorpion sting can kill a cow or horse. If a human being got stung he/she will die in 5 minutes.

Share what your country thinks about scorpion sting. This is something to laugh at...hahahaha!

afs rock

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
in the u.s. it is the smaller the claws the more deadly or the smaller the deadlier

Vixvy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
in the u.s. it is the smaller the claws the more deadly or the smaller the deadlier
This is the basic knowledge when it comes to scorpion sting. What we want is what folklore stuff tells in a country about scorpion stings.

Like for example:

I saw one here in AB that there is a country wherein they believe that when a scorpion stings you you have to make sure to kill it because when it gets a chance to drink water the person who got stung will die.

Chrome69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've had people in canada say that a scorpion (in general) is more venomous than a rattle snake or a cobra. I giggle and move on.

Balkastalkman

Arachnosquire
I've had people in canada say that a scorpion (in general) is more venomous than a rattle snake or a cobra. I giggle and move on.
in general... a scorpion's venom is more potent than rattlesnake venom however rattlesnakes inject much more venom (in quantity) than scorpions do.

Chrome69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
by in general I meant all scorpions, alot of people don't recognize there's more than one type.
And are you sure that a scorpions venom, generally is more potent than a rattlesnakes? If you look at a comparitive LD50 value system of rattle snakes alone, not including cobras because most cobras are way higher than most rattlers hands down, they all have, if put into a scorpion venom rating system, a 4/5ish and I cannot find an exception. The Eastern Massasauga rattle snake is the least potent rattlesnake and it can still kill children, pets, and the elderly. Most scorpions cannot do this so I'm not understanding how you're drawing your conclusion, is there a source you can give me, or two, comparing them? Or show me where you're getting your information?
Are you saying that in general scorpions are over the medically significant point of 4/5?
I'm sincerely confused.

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
by in general I meant all scorpions, alot of people don't recognize there's more than one type.
And are you sure that a scorpions venom, generally is more potent than a rattlesnakes? If you look at a comparitive LD50 value system of rattle snakes alone, not including cobras because most cobras are way higher than most rattlers hands down, they all have, if put into a scorpion venom rating system, a 4/5ish and I cannot find an exception. The Eastern Massasauga rattle snake is the least potent rattlesnake and it can still kill children, pets, and the elderly. Most scorpions cannot do this so I'm not understanding how you're drawing your conclusion, is there a source you can give me, or two, comparing them? Or show me where you're getting your information?
Are you saying that in general scorpions are over the medically significant point of 4/5?
I'm sincerely confused.
I think he was saying that was one of the stories he has heard, and was just adding to your post.

BAM1082

Arachnoknight
Looked at some LD 50's for various snakes... some have lower LD50's than various species of scorpions.
Didn't see any lower than the LD50 of a L.Q. tho.

But Lethal dose 50's are subject to much debate.
Dont think that they compare how it was injected, in all tests.
Ei, going to take a lot more for an Intar-muscular injection than a Intra-
venous.

Chrome69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looked at some LD 50's for various snakes... some have lower LD50's than various species of scorpions.
Didn't see any lower than the LD50 of a L.Q. tho.
He said that generally scorpions are more venomous that rattlesnakes, those alone are some of the most venomous snakes and there's only a handful, about 20-45 give or take (not exact), of species of scorpion that match them out of the over thousand different species. So taking that assertion literally seems quite silly to me :?

BAM1082

Arachnoknight
Scorpions on a LD50/Weight basis are more venomous than Rattles Snakes or Cobras.
Will they kill you... statistically speaking... no.
Anyway sorry to highjack the thread. :}

Hope to hear some more Far out Stories

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
I think we all might have heard the terrible myth that scorpions will commit suicide if they are surrounded by fire or alchohol.:rolleyes: That is one strange, foolish, stupid myth!

afs rock

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
with the fire part in that don't scorps roll over on their back and appear to sting themselves when its to hot

Vixvy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have heard from some tribes man that when a scorpion looks at you it will chase you.....what are they thinking hahahaha!

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
I don't know if this is true, but I heard that if you put a drop of alcohol on a scorpions back it will sting itself to death. It seems kind of silly.

--Dan

Chrome69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Scorpions on a LD50/Weight basis are more venomous than Rattles Snakes or Cobras.
Will they kill you... statistically speaking... no.
Last post about this, the main point was the word "generally" on this. This means you take all the different species of scorpion and all the species of rattlesnakes and cobras and what is most deadly on average or "generally". The answer is factually rattlesnakes and cobras are generally more venomous hands down, that was what was being disputed.
Think of it this way, going by the flipside logic it would be the same as saying that snakes in general are more venomous than Androctonus sp and Hottentotta sp scorpions. Of course the latter would be more venomous because it's a sampling of some of the most potent scorpions and the former is an enormous sampling of everything including garter snakes and boas.

But sorry for me highjacking too, at least I tried to add haha

llamastick

Arachnoknight
The alcohol/fire myth is because they thrash around in pain/death spasms if you do that, so it appears that they're stinging when really they're convulsing.