Rethinking P. transvaalicus

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Well, I let my better judgment take over today. I looked that 3 inch P. transvaalicus in the eyes, and decided to get something a little less hot for now. Any reccomendations for a very aggressive/defensive scorpion, that isn't too hot? I want to get used to the behaviours, before I risk the venom from lack of experience.

Bill

Baphomet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Bill,

I would like to applaud you in being honest enough with yourself to know that you are not ready for this type of scorpion...as implied in your post. This is most definately a "No play time" scorpion. Mistakes with P. transvaalicus can lead to life-long complications or even death. Although it has a LD50 rating of 4.25 mg/kg, it is capable of injecting a LOT of venom.

I'm don't know if you are aware of this or not, but P. transvaalicus is capable of actually "shooting" venom from its tail up to one meter away...eyewear is advised when dealing with P. transvaalicus.

Although I personally have several "HOT" scorpions, including:

P. transvaalicus
Androctonus australis
Leiurus quinquestriatus
Tityus serrulatus
Androctonus crassicauda
Androctonus bicolor
Androctonus amoreuxi

I would like to offer this advice to you and others who are new to scorpions. Not only do those mentioned above require advanced experience, but one other important factor as well...comfort level.

I know several people who have a plethora of experience with scorpions, but they do not feel comfortable with the "hot" ones that are well known to many.

Any keeper of "hot" animals, regardless if its scorpions, snakes, spiders, ect., if you do not feel comfortable dealing with these types of animals, mistakes can be made just as quick as with inexperience.

Also remember, when keeping any "hot" animal, you have the utmost responsibility to others who may live with you, and those around you...let a Leiurus quinquestriatus, for example, get loose in the house and you will know true fear until it is found.

Although I thoroughly enjoy the "hot" scorpions, please don't let yourself become convinced by those who are after the macho appeal of "hot" scorpions/snakes that you are less of a scorpion owner/responsible pet owner if you don't own a "hot" animal.

As with snakes, all too often I encounter people whose fascination isn't with the animal itself, but with how toxic its venom is...and this is the WRONG way to approach any such venture. Learn to admire the animal first and foremost!

With that said, what is your experience with scoprions?
What do you have, or have you had in the past? With a little more information as to how you would gauge your level of experience, I or others here can help in pointing you in the right direction for you next move up the ladder with scorp's.

steve055

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The most agressive none "hot" scorp that i can think of right now would be S. mesaensis . A American Species. They are very protective of their burrow, and quite agressive.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
I would also recommend another Wastern US species as a "wicked" non-hot scorp. That would be Anuroctonus phaiodactylus...common name Mafia Scorpion. I have never kept one but everyone I have heard who has kept them claims they are quite feisty in their behavior.

Check this 'Back the F up' pose.

http://www.ub.ntnu.no/scorpion-files/a_phaiodactylus2.jpg

John
];')

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by Baphomet
Bill,

I'm don't know if you are aware of this or not, but P. transvaalicus is capable of actually "shooting" venom from its tail up to one meter away...eyewear is advised when dealing with P. transvaalicus.

Although I thoroughly enjoy the "hot" scorpions, please don't let yourself become convinced by those who are after the macho appeal of "hot" scorpions/snakes that you are less of a scorpion owner/responsible pet owner if you don't own a "hot" animal.

With that said, what is your experience with scoprions?
What do you have, or have you had in the past? With a little more information as to how you would gauge your level of experience, I or others here can help in pointing you in the right direction for you next move up the ladder with scorp's.
Yes, I'm aware of the reputed spitting ability - the main reason I chose not to do it yet. Sure, can't climb glass, but I don't have a meter-high tank, either.

It isn't really any kind of macho thing, I honestly just really like that scorp. it looks awesome, it's black, and as dangerous as it may be, the venom spitting is pretty damn cool.

My experience with scorps is limited indeed. a few asian forest scorps, a desert hairy, and some emporers a looong time ago.

The Mafia scorpion was one of my possibles, also. It has a really cool look about it, and they definately don't seem like they put up with much BS :)

Bill

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Baphomet

Although I personally have several "HOT" scorpions, including:

P. transvaalicus
Androctonus australis
Leiurus quinquestriatus
Tityus serrulatus
Androctonus crassicauda
Androctonus bicolor
I or others here can help in pointing you in the right direction for you next move up the ladder with scorp's.
Hey! a neighbor! I live in Stockton.........
there is a loose knit group of people from northern california/bay area that get together for breeding swaps, selling, trading and swapping stories if you are interested let me know and I will provide you with contact info.
Ed

Baphomet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto

It isn't really any kind of macho thing, I honestly just really like that scorp
Bill,

I wasn't implying that you were after the "macho" appeal...I was stating that too many out there are...and that many of those who take this approach try to make others feel like less of a scorpion owner unless they too have "hot" scorps.

The fact that you like the scorp for what it is brings you a step closer to comfortably owning one when you feel your level of experience and comfort level allows.