Reptizoo enclosure mesh

arthurliuyz

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter +
Hi, guys. I want to upgrade my fossorial ts to enclosures that allow more substrate and came across the ReptiZoo glass enclosures (specifically the 21x21x30cm one). One problem I'm having is with the mesh lids because they are kind of hard to replace with acrylic boards. I've heard some keepers say that the mesh on these is fine and they used these with no problems ay all. From what I've watched, Tom Moran replaces all of his mesh lids except on the ReptiZoo ones that he uses for his H devamatha.
So, my questions are:
1) Are the mesh lids on these enclosures safe for tarantulas?
2) Are these enclosures overall good for ts? I'm asking because I see it only has top ventilation.

1001660219202_.pic.jpg
(mods delete this pic if it is a violation of the rules thx)

arthurliuyz

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter +
same answer
See post #9 of this thread:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
These are not woven mesh they are basically expanded metal screen and not woven mesh. Its only woven mesh that is the issue. I have some of these Reptizoo tanks and I dont replace the lids due to this, only the Exoterras.

Expanded Metal.jpg

arthurliuyz

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter +
These are not woven mesh they are basically expanded metal screen and not woven mesh. Its only woven mesh that is the issue. I have some of these Reptizoo tanks and I dont replace the lids due to this, only the Exoterras.

View attachment 426010
Thanks for the answer. Also, is there a problem with these only having top ventilation and no cross vent?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks for the answer. Also, is there a problem with these only having top ventilation and no cross vent?
Top ventilation only is totally fine for most species, there are only a limited amount of species like those of Aviculariinae that truly require higher amounts of airflow to survive. Most other species generally have very little airflow needs and do absolutely fine with only top ventilation. What species are you planning on putting into this?

arthurliuyz

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter +
Top ventilation only is totally fine for most species, there are only a limited amount of species like those of Aviculariinae that truly require higher amounts of airflow to survive. Most other species generally have very little airflow needs and do absolutely fine with only top ventilation. What species are you planning on putting into this?
Asian and African OW fossorials for the time being.

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter

View attachment 426010
Are these lids still appropriate for a NW arboreal? That's what the top of mine looks like, and I'm in progress figuring out how to make it safe for my versicolor. I have some acrylic I could put vent holes in and just glue it under the mesh if there's any concern with the greater fall distance of an arboreal setup.

My enclosure does have a vent just above sub level in the front, so I think airflow will be safe.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Are these lids still appropriate for a NW arboreal? That's what the top of mine looks like, and I'm in progress figuring out how to make it safe for my versicolor. I have some acrylic I could put vent holes in and just glue it under the mesh if there's any concern with the greater fall distance of an arboreal setup.

My enclosure does have a vent just above sub level in the front, so I think airflow will be safe.
they lack proper cross ventilation for Avics and Versis from what I can see. There doesn't appear to be any side venting

Vulash

Arachnosquire
Do you mostly use the "full view" ones as linked above that open on the top, or have you tried the front opening ones. I'm researching ahead for my arboreals (mostly Psalmos and an A. Germani). I'll probably put my C. Versi in an Exo Terra to be safe when they're bigger. On the front opening Reptizoon 8x8x12 it looks like there are ventilation slows at the base of the door as well as the top, but it's difficult to see. I was curious if you used them.

Also, do most people prefer top opening or front opening for arboreal? My C. Versi webbed to the lid on my top opening and I hated pulling some of that up when I opened it. I grabbed a front opening for a psalmo to try, and I find it more difficult to clean/feed some of the back spaces where my T stays. Also, I believe Tom Moran mentioned that went the wilder arboreals bolt they go around instead of up. He prefers top opening.