Reptisoil safe or good to use with c.darlingi

Emmaalyse

Arachnosquire
Hey so i need to replace my c. darlingi’s substrate since ive noticed a lot of it has been packed down from moving and what not. I have tons of reptisoil that I use for my gecko and was wondering if its okay for tarantulas? I use ecofiber coco substrate for as long as ive had tarantulas so im nervous to just try something new especially not with my old world.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I use it all the time for my spiders, though typically ones that are more moisture dependent since it holds moisture REALLY well.

Emmaalyse

Arachnosquire
I use it all the time for my spiders, though typically ones that are more moisture dependent since it holds moisture REALLY well.
Okay thank you, i was scared to try something and just because the bag says it safe doesn’t mean it is like sand

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Same here.....I use it now almost exclusively .Along with topsoil from Home Depot,not the potting soil,the leveling/post hole filler.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I've always used Reptisoil in my substrate mixture. It can hold moisture really well and when compacted, it supports awesome burrows. I keep my P. muticus on this substrate mix with no issues. The only downside I've found (and the reason I don't use straight reptisoil) is that over time it can form a crust on the surface, causing water to pool up when it's added to the substrate.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I do a base of 50/50 Reptisoil and coco fiber for all of my spiders and make some minor adjustments depending on the spider's place of origin, like adding excavator clay, sand, and charcoal for my fossorials and chopped sphagnum moss if they are more moisture dependent. IMO a Reptisoil/cocofiber combo holds its structure better than either by themselves, and I do like how it will absorb moisture better.

Although I don't think you need to replace your spider's substrate unless you think it was exposed to chemicals or something.

Emmaalyse

Arachnosquire
I do a base of 50/50 Reptisoil and coco fiber for all of my spiders and make some minor adjustments depending on the spider's place of origin, like adding excavator clay, sand, and charcoal for my fossorials and chopped sphagnum moss if they are more moisture dependent. IMO a Reptisoil/cocofiber combo holds its structure better than either by themselves, and I do like how it will absorb moisture better.

Although I don't think you need to replace your spider's substrate unless you think it was exposed to chemicals or something.
He needs more substrate to make a new burrow since most of his substrate has packed down about a whole inch. Thats the only reason im replacing it. Coco fiber substrate has been out of stock for cheap everywhere i look so im gonna use the reptisoil and maybe use some of his old dirt since its not that old, maybe 3 months of use