Reptile suggestions

bksbuddha

Arachnopeon
:cool: I gotta say Corns. I have 2 gorgeous babies myself & they have varied patterns, colors, & prices. My 2 just love to be held.
Need more convincing:
Slither

And Squiggle

What's not to love? ;) They don't grow awful big, don't eat much, usually eat f/t mice, easy to care for, & live quite a while. Hope you'll let us know what you decide on in the end. :)

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you want some kind of reptile but not sure of what to get, I'd say go for a small/medium sized snake (corn snakes, western hognose, milksnakes, and many more species). Their care is simpler than almost any lizard.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you want some kind of reptile but not sure of what to get, I'd say go for a small/medium sized snake (corn snakes, western hognose, milksnakes, and many more species). Their care is simpler than almost any lizard.
But that's kind of the point ;) I'm researching a couple of months ahead so I can get something I'm truly happy with rather then settling.

Besides, I have narrowed down my choices that I really want. I just don't want to miss anything.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Think right now I'm going to be looking at:

A beardie or a blue tongue skink
and
A hognose or a children's python.

I'm moving and getting settled into my new place this month. I'll actually have room to build a display shelving unit for myself. I want to do one that can hold 3 20gal longs (I do realize my lizard choices will require a larger tank as adults.)

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Then get one of the snakes ;P
I am :) You missed the and :p

One 20 should be big enough for an adult of either snake species, one for a juvie lizard, and my mudskippers are getting an upgrade.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am :) You missed the and :p

One 20 should be big enough for an adult of either snake species, one for a juvie lizard, and my mudskippers are getting an upgrade.
No, I meant to get a snake rather than a lizard (just going by what you say that your new setup won't have enough space for an adult lizard). Anyway, part of it is because I'm kind of biased towards snakes {D

Last edited:

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No, I meant to get a snake rather than a lizard (just going by what you say that your new setup won't have enough space for an adult lizard). Anyway, part of it is because I'm kind of biased towards snakes {D
Oh there will be plenty of room in my bedroom for the display plus a larger tank at some point. My new room is going to be huge, plus our livingroom is also huge. Doing vertical displays for the tanks will create even more room.

I just don't want to go over the top. Couple of reptiles, a few more spiders, knock down my scorpions some, then to buy a horse in the spring :D

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh there will be plenty of room in my bedroom for the display plus a larger tank at some point. My new room is going to be huge, plus our livingroom is also huge. Doing vertical displays for the tanks will create even more room.

I just don't want to go over the top. Couple of reptiles, a few more spiders, knock down my scorpions some, then to buy a horse in the spring :D
Ok, good to know. I thought you were just limited to one shelf for the 20 gallons. Also, definitely get the hognose :razz:

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
;P I'd lose half a finger trying that. How big is he now we need an update video?
He is now almost 4 feet and cohabitants with his gf Janet who is a little shorter than him. I fed them some f/t chicks for the first time not an hour ago. He's got some real impressive jowls now too;) Ive always hand fed my big lizards from columbian tegus when I was a teen to my late black throat to these two and never had a problem:D I think the secret is to keep them really well fed! When I have a chance I'll make another feeding vid just for you;)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
lol I don't know, but there seems to be a conspiracy to keep the Texas Alligator Lizard out of the hobby. To me, the ones in the eastern part of their range are larger and less apt to bite, but the ones further west seem to be a little smaller with an attitude. They are a nice, medium sized lizard with an average length of 17 inches and easy to care for imo, but good luck getting one.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Chuckwalla! Don't know if you can afford one though. :D

If I have to choose from your list, I would say African burrowing python/boa (Calabaria/Charina reinhardtii) that I must say were pretty awesome when I saw a pair in person. That's if you want something to stay small (3 feet and under) and if you want something bit bigger and active, I would go with the water snake. Water snakes are very alert and curious little buggers.

EDIT: the first snake I mentioned was reclassified so I believe the most current is that it is a boa and a member of Charina. The other is the old taxonomy and common name but info can still be found under both.

Last edited:

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i would suggest a russian tortiose...i got one and shes amaing.....iguanas are too mean, i like them as much as hampsters....a frilled lizard is a deffinate will get for me....even though i know that all lizards like to get mean.....as far as a beardie...they arent that special....mine just wastes alot of food, is picky, craps everywhere, tears up everything, and is finicky....what is actually an amazing pet is a mudpuppy.....throw in a nightcrawler once in a while and thats perty mcuh it

khil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
1. 20g for life
2. corn snake/king snake morph
3. easy f/t easy tank maintenance
4. ????
5. Sucess!

demonmyst

Arachnopeon
I'm a snake and lizard owner, over 30, I have a chameleon and don;t really care for it he is very high maintenance. I'm actually trying to sell him......but I would say a redtail boa... I know, I know, they get big. I have a 7 - 8 foot she is the most nicest snake ever!!! I have two others and my little sis is 12 and I got her one. They are great snakes. I also have ball pythons. They are very common first snake but, they are head shy and sometimes aggressive.( All snakes can be aggressive though. So if you want any more info just write back to me in email or something slipknotxrocks33759@gmail.com