Reptile show, New green bottle sling , how to plump?

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I got a green bottle sling and a aphonopelma.
And a new little turtle , yey

I was wondering whats a good way to plump up the little green bottle been feeding it small crickets but all I have is 4 day olds at the moment and hes just less than half an inch.The bad part is my friends petshop only has crickets his size..

btw
Whats this about beef heart I hear?

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
what i have been told is....

as gross as it is, just smush the crickets head..the sling will eat dead crickets...or kill a mealworm by smushing its head and feed it that...
You can buy frozen beefheart in some petstores where they sell frozen brineshrimp..and you can use a piece of that thawed in with your slings too.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was in petco today and noticed that they had fruitfly cultures. They were little jars in carboard holders hanging on pegs at the end of the shelves where all the reptile accessories are kept.

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i forgot abut them..

you can use them too, but they arent nutritionally complete to use as a staple diet.

(just passing on what they tell me here..)

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bob the thief
I got a green bottle sling and a aphonopelma.
And a new little turtle , yey

I was wondering whats a good way to plump up the little green bottle been feeding it small crickets but all I have is 4 day olds at the moment and hes just less than half an inch.The bad part is my friends petshop only has crickets his size..

btw
Whats this about beef heart I hear?
Are you saying the 4 day old crics are too small?

Ernie

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The way I heard it the fruitflys are missing some important amino acids that are required for proper development in spiders. The fruit flies would make an acceptable alternative in the short term until appropriate sized feeeder insects could be found.

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah, as rapunzel said, just unleash a bit of Freddy Krueger onto the crickets/mealworms until they are the correct size