Reptile people

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ok so basically I received a free used, but still usable 10-20 gallon tank with a piece of driftwood, heat rock, wood hide, and water dish. any suggestions on a reptile to get for this enclosure?

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ok so basically I received a free used, but still usable 10-20 gallon tank with a piece of driftwood, heat rock, wood hide, and water dish. any suggestions on a reptile to get for this enclosure?
get rid of the heat rock..they are dangerous and have been known to kill herps from thermal burns.
they get hot spots in them that can burn your pet.
that said..try a leopard gecko..they are easy herps.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah leopard gecko or if you're interested in snakes at all, a corn, king or mild would go nice in there (i recommend corns or kings over milks for beginners though milks are pretty easy as well).

But is it a 10 gallon or a 20 gallon? Thats a pretty big difference.

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah get rid of the heat rock.with a few adjustments and considering you have herp experiance get a crocodile skink(my favorite)!

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Leopard Geckos are the single gayest and most boring gecko/lizard around. I used to breed them, ugh....so damn lame.

Go for a Kenyan Sand Boa male if you want a snake, or a Ornate Horned Frog (C. Ornata)

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
lol you like leopard geckos that much :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: {D {D {D ====phil
Leopard Geckos are the single gayest and most boring gecko/lizard around. I used to breed them, ugh....so damn lame.

Go for a Kenyan Sand Boa male if you want a snake, or a Ornate Horned Frog (C. Ornata)

zimbu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Crocodile skinks are neat looking, but they're also very shy. I have one and I love him, but I'll only ever see him out and about between 7:30-9:00 AM and about 3-5 in the afternoon. And if i move suddenly he freezes or darts back to his hide. You would also have to change the enclosure around a lot, they need very high humidity and a large water dish to soak in.

African fat tailed geckos are similar to leopard geckos, from my experience they tend to be slightly more skittish and are very aggressive hunters. Fun to watch :D.

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Lose the heat rock, definitely... and a Crested gecko would do well with a few more plants in a 10g or a 20g, turned on its side for height. You wouldn't need a heat source at all. Humidity is a factor, so misting daily or every other day (depending on your climate); and temps should never exceed 80F, as it is stressful and CAN be fatal. They are handleable, eat mostly fresh fruit or Repashy Diet (2 part system is more palatable), and they are very comical hunters.. comical for us.. serious business for them {D

But a male sand boa would be my next choice :)

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah get rid of the heat rock.with a few adjustments and considering you have herp experiance get a crocodile skink(my favorite)!
yeah,:mad: heat rock BAD!! destroy now!! as for croc skinks those things rock:clap: when i worked at this exotic petshop in fla.(deerfield beach) we always had them and everybody liked them they were very easy to keep. leopard geckos are cool too.

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Get some tokay geckos they are mean yes but very cool to watch and they make a cool noise. I however would probably start a pokie colony in that though.{D

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A Tokay gecko would not do well in a 10g, but a 20g would house one comfortably for a little while.. just ONE.

I have a CB male Tokay... he's a beautiful, yet very challenging, gecko.

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have had experience with them, they can live in 20-30 gallons nicely although the bigger the better. These guys eat like pigs.

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A Tokay gecko would not do well in a 10g, but a 20g would house one comfortably for a little while.. just ONE.

I have a CB male Tokay... he's a beautiful, yet very challenging, gecko.
If you are unconventional like me, you can flip the 10 gallon onto its side so it acts like a 10 gallon "high" and you could surely stick a tokay gecko in it then, but I agree that a 20 gallon(on it side) would be much better!

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Be sure to soak and disinfect your tank and it's decorations appropriately before you put anything in it. The last thing you want is mites or something spreading to your new herp.