REPTICAWWWWWWWWWWWN

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
maybe. Debating between the A. geniculata, N. chromatus, T. stirmi (probably not), and the GBB.
Im not too interested in stirmis, but but youve got a reeeaaaal tough decision with the other three. Love my genic, my gbb is an ass, and i only wish i had the N. chromatus.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
maybe. Debating between the A. geniculata, N. chromatus, T. stirmi (probably not), and the GBB.
Ah, so it's between Bitey, Flicky, and Flighty. Personally, I'd go with the Nhandu. Anything Nhandu is great. But be prepared for, just, so much hair.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
What's with all the hate on stirmi????? C'mon guys. Stirmi ftw.
Agreed, my girl is easily in my top five favorite specimens. Low maintenance, great eater, frequent hisser, and it's a giant freaking spider. What's not to love?

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Agreed, my girl is easily in my top five favorite specimens. Low maintenance, great eater, frequent hisser, and it's a giant freaking spider. What's not to love?
The hissing is awesome, and I enjoy mine's fast growth rate. Really want to try breeding her once she's ready.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
The hissing is awesome, and I enjoy mine's fast growth rate. Really want to try breeding her once she's ready.
I would love hissing, the problem is the hairs. I was thinking about getting a P. muticus for the hissing and lack of hairs, but then I remembered that they're fossorial and i was like oh well. So Nhandu is what I should go for?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I would love hissing, the problem is the hairs. I was thinking about getting a P. muticus for the hissing and lack of hairs, but then I remembered that they're fossorial and i was like oh well. So Nhandu is what I should go for?
Nhandu's setae are 10x worse than a T. stirmi for me. Plus, Nhandu's seem much more willing to flick for no real reason. My N. coloratovillosus females always kick every time I open their enclosure, at least the T. stirmi only does it when I bother her for maintenance.

But people always make such a deal about setae. I don't know, I guess itching is just part of the hobby for me. I love NW terrestrials, so that just comes with the territory. Just don't accidentally handle their substrate without wearing gloves... trust me :shifty:

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Nhandu's setae are 10x worse than a T. stirmi for me. Plus, Nhandu's seem much more willing to flick for no real reason. My N. coloratovillosus females always kick every time I open their enclosure, at least the T. stirmi only does it when I bother her for maintenance.

But people always make such a deal about setae. I don't know, I guess itching is just part of the hobby for me. I love NW terrestrials, so that just comes with the territory. Just don't accidentally handle their substrate without wearing gloves... trust me :shifty:
If I get the stirmi or the Nhandu, I'm gonna wear goggles and a bandana every time I open the lid. I'm not kidding. I once got sand thrown in my eye by a kid much bigger than me, and it hurt for a week. I can't imagine what it would be like to get hairs specifically designed to cause pain in my eye. I can deal with hairs and bitey things, but not fast movements. Legit every time I'm doing something in my G. pulchripes's enclosure and it so much as lifts a leg, I'm like :eek::anxious::drowning: because it startles the heck out of me. I'm extremely jumpy. I wasn't before that one incident back on spring break when he was in a really bad mood and bit the tissue I was using to get him to move. Since then, I've been scared to perform husbandry.

Lunitar

Arachnoslacker
I second the Nhandu. Don't overlook coloratovillosus either. They grow up decently fast and have just the right amount of attitude.

I don't have a stirmi yet but I think that may change this sunday. :anxious:

Edit: Just read the post above and wanted to note that I have 12 Nhandu and the hairs have not bothered me. Now my subadult LP's will give me a good itch but the Nhandu don't seem to have much effect. Perhaps I am the exception.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
If I get the stirmi or the Nhandu, I'm gonna wear goggles and a bandana every time I open the lid. I'm not kidding. I once got sand thrown in my eye by a kid much bigger than me, and it hurt for a week. I can't imagine what it would be like to get hairs specifically designed to cause pain in my eye. I can deal with hairs and bitey things, but not fast movements. Legit every time I'm doing something in my G. pulchripes's enclosure and it so much as lifts a leg, I'm like :eek::anxious::drowning: because it startles the heck out of me. I'm extremely jumpy. I wasn't before that one incident back on spring break when he was in a really bad mood and bit the tissue I was using to get him to move. Since then, I've been scared to perform husbandry.
Honestly, then Nhandu isn't for you. At best they're skittish, at worst they're very territorial. My N. coloratovillosus literally chases intruders, and my N. chromatus is one of my flightiest specimens. I love, love, love Nhandu specifically because of their nasty disposition.

Worrying about hair in your eye is a bit irrational, though. These things aren't bullets - so long as you're not sticking your face into their enclosure, you won't get it in your eye.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Honestly, then Nhandu isn't for you. At best they're skittish, at worst they're very territorial. My N. coloratovillosus literally chases intruders, and my N. chromatus is one of my flightiest specimens. I love, love, love Nhandu specifically because of their nasty disposition.

Worrying about hair in your eye is a bit irrational, though. These things aren't bullets - so long as you're not sticking your face into their enclosure, you won't get it in your eye.
Lol speaking of that, when i was first unboxing my G pulchripes my brother, who hates spiders, thought they could shoot hairs like darts directly into your eye and he wouldnt stop freaking out about it.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Lol speaking of that, when i was first unboxing my G pulchripes my brother, who hates spiders, thought they could shoot hairs like darts directly into your eye and he wouldnt stop freaking out about it.
If I were you, I'd throw away your wish list. All of them are either skittish or have bad setae, both of which you said that you'd like to avoid. Here's a better list of some that will almost certainly be available:

N. incei, H. sp. "Columbia" Klein/Gross (either one), any Euathlus sp., P. sazimai, G. pulchra, or B. albopilosum

boina

Lady of the mites
A. geniculata. They are not skittish, they just want food and if you don't have any they are going to fight you for it. You know they are going to go after your mantenance tools, so there's no surprise involved and you won't be startled because you'll expect it ;). I've got two and they are definitely among my favorites, before the Nhandus even, and I love Nhandus.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
If I were you, I'd throw away your wish list. All of them are either skittish or have bad setae, both of which you said that you'd like to avoid. Here's a better list of some that will almost certainly be available:

N. incei, H. sp. "Columbia" Klein/Gross (either one), any Euathlus sp., P. sazimai, G. pulchra, or B. albopilosum
I worded it a little badly. If the spider moves I'll jump a little, but any more movement doesnt make me jump. It's just the initial little "gah!" moment, then im like "im cool". Rex has actually bit the tongs before and i didnt react because he had already moved.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
A. geniculata. They are not skittish, they just want food and if you don't have any they are going to fight you for it. You know they are going to go after your mantenance tools, so there's no surprise involved and you won't be startled because you'll expect it ;). I've got two and they are definitely among my favorites, before the Nhandus even, and I love Nhandus.
I'll just drop the food in and while theyre eating i can grab the water dish