Removing old algae

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
I found an old water dish that's caked with black dried algae and I've scraping it off. I've got most of it but the rest seems impossible.

How would y'all go about removing the rest of it and sterilizing the dish? PXL_20210720_044512928.jpg

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I just keep scraping it until it’s mostly gone. Run under super hot water for a bit. Keep scratching at it. I try to get it all but there is usually a tiny bit left.

I found an old water dish that's caked with black dried algae and I've scraping it off. I've got most of it but the rest seems impossible.

How would y'all go about removing the rest of it and sterilizing the dish? View attachment 392325
Hi
you can try boiling it in a pan.
Also you can use bleach but need to make sure its rinced well after so there is no residue or smell left.
Regards Konstantin

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince

How would y'all go about removing the rest of it and sterilizing the dish? View attachment 392325
Soak it in bleach for 24 hours then rinse thoroughly several times then leave to air dry. It will be fine.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
i would soak a few days then hit it with a small wire brush to get the rest off then wash with weak bleach mixture rinse good and let dry before using again

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Soak it in bleach for 24 hours then rinse thoroughly several times then leave to air dry. It will be fine.
Bleach destroys algae. After the 24 hours fill with water and place in bright light or in the sun. If it regrows it's not algae but black mold, Stachybotrus chartarum. If that is the case, throw it away. or burn it with a propane torch. You need to heat the mold to >350C to kill those spores.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
ok so the bleach seemed to work to get rid of the algae.

now the container has a slight bleach smell after rinsing.

should i repeat rinsing and drying until it subsides? Should i let it soak? Is it a non-issue? let me know

The Snark

Old Timer
Is that container plastic? If so it will always have the plastic-chlorine odor is there is any chlorine in the water. The chlorine destabilizes the chlorides. But if this is the case running the water through a carbon filter will remove all the chlorine and subsequently the odor.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Is that container plastic? If so it will always have the plastic-chlorine odor is there is any chlorine in the water. The chlorine destabilizes the chlorides. But if this is the case running the water through a carbon filter will remove all the chlorine and subsequently the odor.
I think it's a plastic. It has white residue around it now.

PXL_20210722_050459585.jpg

The Snark

Old Timer
I think it's a plastic. It has white residue around it now.
Nertz. And I assume you've rinsed it a few times. Most common plastics are made with chloride compounds, PVC, PET CPVC,etc. Chlorine like bleach chemically interacts with the outer surface. Destabilizes it.

We have about 15 water bottles of assorted plastics. I sterilized them with chlorine and they all reeked. It's basically harmless but smells yuck. We rinsed the bottles dozens of times with no effect. Then I refilled them with RO + catalyzed pure water, zero chemicals, salts, minerals, they quit stinking.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Nertz. And I assume you've rinsed it a few times. Most common plastics are made with chloride compounds, PVC, PET CPVC,etc. Chlorine like bleach chemically interacts with the outer surface. Destabilizes it.

We have about 15 water bottles of assorted plastics. I sterilized them with chlorine and they all reeked. It's basically harmless but smells yuck. We rinsed the bottles dozens of times with no effect. Then I refilled them with RO + catalyzed pure water, zero chemicals, salts, minerals, they quit stinking.
Have you used any of the scented bottles with tarantulas? Wouldn't want to poison something innocent just for the sake of my convenience

The Snark

Old Timer
Have you used any of the scented bottles with tarantulas? Wouldn't want to poison something innocent just for the sake of my convenience
Nope. You should do a canary in a coal mine number with a disposable animal. It's only outgassing so should be harmless. Put a few mealworms, crickets or roaches in it and cover it for 24 hours.
If in any doubt just melt some wax and slosh it around in it giving it an impermeable harmless coating. I coat chlorine cakes and tablets 90% with ordinary wax to make them melt slowly. Chlorine can't touch the wax.

Last edited: