removing molts

liverlips

Arachnopeon
are there any negative consequences if a molt is not removed for an extended period of time??

and on another note...I had a GBB that died about 9 months ago...it was maybe 2"...it was acting super strange, jumping around and moving very erratically...within an hour it literally turned into slow motion and was walking around like it was drunk...He ended up dying a couple days later...has anyone experienced anything like this??? any ideas??? thanks and hope to hear some feedback.

Redip Spider

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't think there's any real problem with leaving a molt for a few days. I've done it myself with no negative consequences.

As far as the male GBB, it sounds sorta like my male rosea. After a certain amount of time the males just get jumpy and die.

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
There is no harm in leaving a molt in the enclosure if you can't get to it. My g. aureostriata molted in it's burrow last year and there would have been no way to remove the molt without destroying the burrow. After a couple of months, (right before its next molt, if I recall correctly) it did some "housecleaning" and dragged the exuvium out while enlarging its burrow. Then I was able to remove it.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
As far as the male GBB, it sounds sorta like my male rosea. After a certain amount of time the males just get jumpy and die.
There's no way it was a mature male at only 2".

OP, there's no harm in leaving molts in, unless it's a damp enclosure in which case it might mold or attract mites. Otherwise, the only reason not to do it is that it looks kind of unsightly. {D

As for the GBB...did you mist the tank? Keep it damp? This species cannot handle being kept moist, they need it as dry as possible. Otherwise, it sounds like it was exposed to pesticides, whether from contaminated prey or someone spraying Raid in the house.