remove the molt???

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I was wondering should I remove the molt?? what will happen if I don't?? I have a vietnamese tiger and I don't want to dig out a molt if I don't have to..

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It wont hurt to leave it.
Some T's will remove it themselfs after a while.
I've dug out T's in the wild, while collecting, and found many old skincasts in the burrows.. A whole lot of fangs.:) Some T's will fight you for them..

EWT

arachnopunks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
We always left the molts of our. P. fasciata....and he usually ate them. Hey, I wasn't gonna fight him for them. It was funny when we would changes his substrate because like 2-3 molts would be hidden away in there. Some spiders will evict the molt to a suitable spot for you to remove, but if it doesn't....just leave it in there if you want to.

-Jill

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If the T will let you have it and you can get to it, pull it out. But if you can't get to it or the T won't let you have it, leave it in there.

The molt won't hurt anything, so either way.

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
my E. pachypus molted in march. i didnt get the molt until just 2 weeks ago when she finally took it out and dumped it in her waterdish. she did the same with the last molt, so im calling her a she by assumption- alls ive gotten so far is two soggy wrinkled half casts to try to sex it with:8o . guess i wont know for sure until it matures at this rate. oh, and to answer your question, yeah what they said.

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Originally posted by MrT
It wont hurt to leave it.
Some T's will remove it themselfs after a while.
I've dug out T's in the wild, while collecting, and found many old skincasts in the burrows.. A whole lot of fangs.:) Some T's will fight you for them..

EWT
Speaking of being fought for a molt.....

A couple weeks ago, my big 6.5ish inch V. platyomma female molted (at least that's the day I FOUND her molt). After setting up a fresh water dish with no problems, I stuck my hand in to remove the molt. Out of nowhere, she charged across the container and grabbed the molt and clamped down on it with her fangs. I could hear the CRUNCH of the dry molt and I was just happy to have been able to removemy hand in plenty of time!

Needless to say, I figured if she wanted to keep her old shell THAT badly, she was welcome to it! I put her lid back on and left her alone with her little "TREASURE" to keep her happy. I was finally able to remove the molt a few days ago when I fed her and had her occupied with a few crickets in her mouth. ;)

Personally, I think it's entirely possible she thought it was another spider in there and that's why she attacked it, but I'll never know for sure?? :?

Wysi

AllenG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by WYSIWYG
Speaking of being fought for a molt.....

A couple weeks ago, my big 6.5ish inch V. platyomma female molted (at least that's the day I FOUND her molt). After setting up a fresh water dish with no problems, I stuck my hand in to remove the molt. Out of nowhere, she charged across the container and grabbed the molt and clamped down on it with her fangs. I could hear the CRUNCH of the dry molt and I was just happy to have been able to removemy hand in plenty of time!
Wysi
LOL, sounds like it was a blast ;)