Remember that guy getting an OBT as his first T?

Mopanda

Arachnopeon
Love my baby...more like babies now ;)

No disrespect to anyone experienced or not. Some people can handle an OBT as a first. Thought you knew...

BTW avoiding conversation and actually searching these forums and reading has helped a lot thanks :kiss:

Attachments

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight

No disrespect to anyone experienced or not. Some people can handle an OBT as a first. Thought you knew...

BTW avoiding conversation and actually searching these forums and reading has helped a lot thanks :kiss:
In Australia we have no choice but to start with some of the nastiest OW T's you can get, because that's all we have available here. I don't even let my dogs in my end of the house when their lids are off, because our T's can kill them in less than half an hour.
An OBT most certainly can be done right as a first T, but if they are anything like our Selenotholus Kotzman or Phlogius Strennus, then I (and just about everyone who has kept them) have every reason to reccomend against them as a first species to people who haven't dealt with any T's before. Glad it worked out for you nonetheless

MoranDisciple

Arachnosquire
In Australia we have no choice but to start with some of the nastiest OW T's you can get, because that's all we have available here. I don't even let my dogs in my end of the house when their lids are off, because our T's can kill them in less than half an hour.
An OBT most certainly can be done right as a first T, but if they are anything like our Selenotholus Kotzman or Phlogius Strennus, then I (and just about everyone who has kept them) have every reason to reccomend against them as a first species to people who haven't dealt with any T's before. Glad it worked out for you nonetheless
I believe Aussie T's have venom that is very specific to canids, meaning it isn't as dangerous towards humans as a lot of people think.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I believe Aussie T's have venom that is very specific to canids, meaning it isn't as dangerous towards humans as a lot of people think.
I absolutely agree, but 8+ hours of intense nausea, headaches and muscle cramps is still not exactly a pleasant experience, especially for an uneducated beginner. Even putting venom aside, there's few things I find more stressful than rehousing a Phlogius sp. due to temperament alone

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
No, I don't remember him because he just went on about his business and didn't feel the need to be a braggart about something wholly unimpressive ;)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor

So you managed to not get bitten by or have let escape a SLING which is a little over an inch in the two moths you have it?
How does that prove your point? Come back in a year when your SLING has evolved in an actual spider with an actual attitude.
Two months means nothing.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel

No offense I expected you to be way younger
Good luck with your Orange Bob

MainMann

Arachnosquire
Them OWs won't be a handful till they get all bitey when they're in their juve stage. Goodluck til then dude, don't, and i mean don't underestimate or feel over confident. Happy keeping!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Great, just what we need... another post basically challenging people to get in over their heads by making them feel inadequate if they don't. Bravo.
And, if you've only had them a few months, I think that huge pat on the back that you're giving yourself is sorely premature.
Someone with more experience would know that, though.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
And some people THINK they can care for an OW, until they can't..... then they come back here asking how to give it away hahahahah

I find more stressful than rehousing a Phlogius sp. due to temperament alone
C'mon, it's more cuddly than a bucket of kittens, drop a hand down there!

Last edited by a moderator:

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Anyone with three working brain cells can care for a tarantula. Note I said three and not one. If you’re prepared for the speed of an OW, who are we to gatekeep?