Related to tarantula substrate

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
Is it bad to use the substrate you already used for 1 of the tarantula?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
What do you mean, exactly? To use again (so basically recycling) the substrate you had for years of a Theraphosidae that, example, died of old age or else, for a "brand new" purchased completely different one?

Or you are talking about the case of a re-house for the same spider, so adding in the new enclosure his/her old substrate?

I'd prefer to change the substrate always, anyway.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
I reuse substrate but I sort of sift if through to remove any boli and such.. Also I make sure that it's from a healthy spider.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I reuse substrate but I sort of sift if through to remove any boli and such.. Also I make sure that it's from a healthy spider.
Even for NWs? I can imagine the urticating hairs being a problem, but I don´t reuse substrate, except for the same spider when it needs a bigger enclosure.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
i never really thought about what harm could there be if urticating hairs were in NW enclosures? I avoid them solely for precaution, but what could happen tho? :D I've never heard of a T having problems due to urticating hairs.. I mean, where could they pose problems? booklungs? that's about the only thing I can think of .

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
i never really thought about what harm could there be if urticating hairs were in NW enclosures? I avoid them solely for precaution, but what could happen tho? :D I've never heard of a T having problems due to urticating hairs.. I mean, where could they pose problems? booklungs? that's about the only thing I can think of .
Hmmm, I have never thought it through, but always just assumed that urticating hairs from one species might cause some trouble for a different species. It might just be me being paranoid about urticating hairs, also o_O. I can´t stand them.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I've reused substrate from NW species and not had any problems. I'd assume the hairs, being organic material, would break down over time anyway. I only bin substrate if it's really bad or if the T was unhealthy.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
The different types of urticating hairs might affect animals with an exoskeleton differently. I know that some hairs hardly affect people (Ephebopus I think), while other hairs make it seem like you've been eaten by a giant mosquito (Theraphosa). Since they've evovled as a predation detering mechanism, and lots of predators are other spiders, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a hair type that affected them.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
I would perfer to change the substrate simply because I like to make my enclosures a little unique for each T. I just think its easier to start from the ground up. Also like others have said top soil is cheap.

Charlie69

Arachnosquire
Even if the hair doesn't hurt the newcomer. Can't they sense the previous animal and get stressed, feeling another t so close?

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Even if the hair doesn't hurt the newcomer. Can't they sense the previous animal and get stressed, feeling another t so close?
Good point, especially if theres any webbing left in the old sub. I'm sure the new T would think it's intruding on another's territory.

I personally don't re use substrate, but that's just cause I like to give them a fresh start, nice clean new home.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I always just use new substrate. Fairly cheap stuff and a lot less work than sifting through used substrate for previous tenant's old moults, boluses (Boli?) and poop.
Really, I can't imagine taking the time to clean an enclosure and then not start with fresh substrate for new inhabitant.

Last edited:

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
I can't believe people reuse substrate with all the poop and food scrap mixed in from a previous T. :eek: No wonder I hear stories of mushrooms growing.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Is it bad to use the substrate you already used for 1 of the tarantula?
I only change the substrate when I rehouse, so I always use fresh substrate. The substrate I use is not so expensive that I would ever sift through old substrate to recycle it, especially considering that it may have been in use for a long time.

An interesting question would be how tarantulas would react to the pheromones/silk of another tarantula so thoroughly mixed into the substrate.