Rehousing?

pelliott1978

Arachnopeon
Hi. Im new and researching buying my first tarantula. Im reading a lot about rehousing being a source of stress and Im a bit puzzled. It seems that the main reason that it is necessary is to give the spider more space or to improve its enclosure. My question is why dont you give them a huge enclosure with great stuff to start with so space will never be a problem?

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Hi. Im new and researching buying my first tarantula. Im reading a lot about rehousing being a source of stress and Im a bit puzzled. It seems that the main reason that it is necessary is to give the spider more space or to improve its enclosure. My question is why dont you give them a huge enclosure with great stuff to start with so space will never be a problem?
If you're buying an adult tarantula then putting it into its permanent house is a possibility , but if you're buying a spiderling (baby tarantula) then that's not really a good option as all that space is actually detrimental (harder for the tarantula to find food, more places to disappear)

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
Easier feedings, easier maintenance.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
If your talking about pros and cons then there are plenty. Sub conditions, ventilation, hides, molting, feeders disappearing (since you would use small feeders for a small T no matter the enclosure size).

I have the habit of housing my T's in much bigger enclosures than they need but never have I housed a sling in a enclosure that wouldn't need to change over time.

pelliott1978

Arachnopeon
Great thanks. I understand I think. Itll probably become clearer once I see it I suppose. Ill follow guidance. Thanks for quick responses.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
You can do reptiles/fish/hamsters...and put a small individual in a large enclosure,and have no problem caring for it...when you get a 1/8 in sling,and put it in a 5 Gal tank,
its gone,T,s hide,Its their first line of defense.Not the speed/venom/defensiveness.
Im going to hide!.And they are masters at that.

One thing,IMO,you need to watch,as a sling grows and molts,is its abdomen.IMO,and others may disagree,you need to see that sling,to gauge its heatlh and growth.Having a brown speck
disappear into the enclosure does not help.You need to pop the lid,look in ,and see the sling,not digging around for it.
Besides,rehousing is 1/2 the fun of t keeping.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Well it depends on how much care you want to put in that enclosure and to the T.

I raised my pulchra and the geniculata since L5-6 in my 60x40x40 enclosures without any problems, but it would have been much easier raising them in a smaller enclosures by far. The fact that my enclosures were vivariums helped a lot too, since they had an easy access to food, from isopods, worms and other bioactive criters. If you are going to feed them only with roaches and worms it's going to be much harder imho.

Last edited:

pelliott1978

Arachnopeon
Thanks again. I just need more research on what would be the best species to start with in a small house with a young child, and what I need to buy before the actual spider. Any forum links to ask these questions would be appreciated. I want to cover everything before I consider starting.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
The first thing to do is to choose the right T for you. After that you only have to read and learn from the tips.

What T are you looking for?

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
Here are 5 beginner T's I would recommend if you are wondering what to get.

1. Tiltocatl Albopilosum
2. Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens (heavy webber)
3. Brachypelma Boehmei
4. Brachypelma Hamorii
5. Tiltocatl Vagans

Edit : I would suggest starting out with a juvenile or adult. Slings can be tricky at first.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
Here are 5 beginner T's I would recommend if you are wondering what to get.

1. Tiltocatl Albopilosum
2. Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens (heavy webber)
3. Brachypelma Boehmei
4. Brachypelma Hamorii
5. Tiltocatl Vagans

Edit : I would suggest starting out with a juvenile or adult. Slings can be tricky at first.
Why no love for N. Chromatus :rolleyes: to be honest it was my easiest T by far.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
Thanks again. I just need more research on what would be the best species to start with in a small house with a young child, and what I need to buy before the actual spider. Any forum links to ask these questions would be appreciated. I want to cover everything before I consider starting.
what you need first is a safe place out of reach from curious little hands tha

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Why no love for N. Chromatus :rolleyes: to be honest it was my easiest T by far.
Same goes for the geniculata... They clasify then as intermediate, but with respect and a little bit of care you can start with one. I love this species, they have such awesome colour scheme and the feeding response 🤤

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
Same goes for the geniculata... They clasify then as intermediate, but with respect and a little bit of care you can start with one. I love this species, they have such awesome colour scheme and the feeding response 🤤
Yea I agree, A. geniculata is really amazing in my books. Mine is a bit feisty but nothing over the top.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Because a tiny 1/2" tarantula in a 10 gallon tank you won't even be able to find, it won't be able to catch its food, and the proper amount of ventilation for an adult would probably amount to holes that a spider that small would escape through depending on the enclosure/species.

pelliott1978

Arachnopeon
I think its going to be Lasiodora Parahybana (sp??). Now my next step is to build something for it to live in. Im absolutely clueless. Im imagining a spiderling arriving, going into basically a jam jar with tiny holes in the lid. Its semi-arboreal so Im told so Ill prepare for a little bit of height. Im lost. What do you keep a lasiodora p. baby in and what is the mud? What would it eat? Im talking to a friend but I think he has only ever had adults.

Ian14

Arachnobaron
I think its going to be Lasiodora Parahybana (sp??). Now my next step is to build something for it to live in. Im absolutely clueless. Im imagining a spiderling arriving, going into basically a jam jar with tiny holes in the lid. Its semi-arboreal so Im told so Ill prepare for a little bit of height. Im lost. What do you keep a lasiodora p. baby in and what is the mud? What would it eat? Im talking to a friend but I think he has only ever had adults.
Coir substrate. I have a Lasiodora klugi in a small spiderling pot (I think you call them pill vials in the States? Deep substrate, small plastic leaf as a hide. Feeds on tiny crickets and newly hatched mealworms.

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
Is this friend the same person who told you Lasiodora parahybana is semi arboreal? You should definitely not take any more advice from whoever told you that. LPs are terrestrial, as a sling it will most likely want to stay burrowed so make sure it has plenty of well packed substrate, and that the open space between the top of the substrate and the lid is no more than one and a half times the size of the spiders diagonal leg span to reduce the risk of injury in the event that it climbs and falls.
I'm sure with a little searching through photos on here you'll figure it out in no time! You can always post pics of your enclosure prior to putting your new pet in it and many people will help you if there are any issues. Happy spidering!