rehousing Zindzhi

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Here is Shelby's cute little king baboon that she won at the ATS raffle. I had to move her out of her 10 gallon aquarium (that she was using about 10th of the space of) to put in the big new L parahybana girl.
Zindzhi was not pleased to be roused from her burrow, but as you can see, she settled right down. In fact, getting her OFF my hand was a bit scarier than getting her ON it LOL
Zindzhi means 'warrior' in Swahili

Last edited:

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, I can't believe you are holding a King baboon. So did she like your warm hand and not want to leave it? Keep it up and you're going to be like Joy and hold all species regardless of their dispositions:D

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
the funny thing is, she was stridulating like crazy at first!
However, she was quite tractable, and once out on the rug, just walked onto my hand like it was part of the landscape. If they think it's their own idea, I think they are much less likely to want to bite defensively

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Holley,
All right, that's it. Now I WILL have a King Baboon. Seeing Zindzhi reminded me all over again why I gasped in appreciation when I saw one in person..:)
(thanks, though..)
Peace,
Gillian

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Man, I want one now too! That is a cute pic. Looks just like a big king baboon...only tiny. Funny to think how big she's gonna get, huh? :}

Atrax

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
How often does she come out of her burrow?

BD
NEVER!!!!
this little girl is always in her burrow. She has not eaten in months either. However, it doesn't look like it's hurt her any. I just keep fresh water available for her. I just rehoused her into what I hope will be a better set up for both her and myself. It's a plastic pickle jar. Not huge in diameter, but quite deep, so she can dig to her hearts content. I pre-made a burrow start for her, and when I put her in her new home, she made a beeline for the hole, and started digging!
Right now, she is actually out, cleaning herself. I think once her burrow is finished, I won't see her for another 6 months.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Originally posted by Atrax
Man, I want one now too! That is a cute pic. Looks just like a big king baboon...only tiny. Funny to think how big she's gonna get, huh? :}

Atrax
Eventually! Wow....the growth rate on this species is SOOOOO SLOOWWWWWWWW
She may mature by the time I am qualified for social security LOL

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Crickey Holley!!! (not all us Aussies say that, just thought I'd throw it in), listen to your hooves (my favourite Tom Green quote). You, my friend, have lost it. A true arachnonut, many congrats!!!

Cheers,
Steve

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
ahahaha!
well, you won't find me handling a P murinus anytime in the near future!
Not voluntarily anyway ;)

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
She is a beauty... looks at her maroonish tint. Great pic! She is a cutie.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Immortal_sin
ahahaha!
Awww, Holley, P. murinus are pussies compared to King Baboons!! You've seen the photo of Rosmary Kraft with the pair of Pterrors mating on her hand. This is the one species that scares the living daylights out of Vernier, even he won't handle them, and he's crazy;) LMAO!!!!

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Darrin will hold a S. subspinipes, but not a Pterror? :?

I saw pics of Rosemary holding the mating Pterrors. Said it a million times...she's amazing.

Atrax

T. blondi

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by Immortal_sin
ahahaha!
Yeah my (P. murinus, anansi) wont even let me breathe on him; let alone touch him. He strikes the ground with such force, you can hear the thud from the kitchen, lol :D

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Atrax
Darrin will hold a S. subspinipes, but not a Pterror? :?

I saw pics of Rosemary holding the mating Pterrors. Said it a million times...she's amazing.

Atrax
Oh, I'd imagine Darren would have no problems holding a Pterror, it's the King Baboon he won't go near. I don't blame him either, I've never seen such a powerful striker like the King Baboon.

Yeah, Rosemary's incredible, I think I've seen footage of her playing with a full grown KB and as usual, everyone around her was in awe.

Cheers,
Steve

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Rosemary held her KB female at the ATS conference. She was quite upset at first, and kept striking. Rosemary got her calm enough not only to hold her, but to put her on a weight scale!
The thing that makes me less frightened about holding a KB over a P murinus, is they will usually stand their ground. P murinus *might* and might not. They can be spastic enough to be on your face in half a second. That is not where I would relish mine!