Rehousing slings?

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got a bach of new slings in last week (Tuesday), and housed them in jars. Some of you may remember the thread asking if the jars are okay. They're old pickle jars, mid sized.

I was at the dollar store today, and saw some "Bug Keepers" mini plastic terarriums, like mini cricket ceepers...with a clear feeding door on top. I'm in love with those containers. They seem to be perfect for slings.

Would it be worth it to rehouse them in these small, much nicer containers with more floor space than the jars? They are also better ventilated.

I'm also wondering if some of my smaller slings will be able to climb up, and get through the air slits on top. the air slits are about 1/16 of an inch in width.

Anyone have any experience with this?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There have been many people who experience small slings climbing through the slits, so I can't say yes or no till I know the size of your slings.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
someone post a link for these types of questions. there is a mountain of information we could throw at you about housing slings.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have those exact same KK from the dollar store. I find that I keep my slings in vials till they outgrow them, and then a deli cup for one more moult. 90% of the time the KK's are perfect size for the next three moults.

They get moved to either a 2.5 gal or a med KK after that

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
H. lividum 1", B. smithi 3/4", P. murinus 1", L. parahybana 1/2"

What do you think?

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I alomost lost an A minatrix because i rushed to re-house (found him outside the KK). Tanke your time, and insure your T's can't escape from Alcatraz!!!

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I like small Bell/Mason jars. Yaknow, the kind used for canning (jarring) that have 2-piece lids? I cut out some plastic screen material and replace the center disc part of the jar with that. The screw on lid keeps the screen tight. This works for dry condition t's like brachy's and grammo's.

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pesonally I prefer to go buy some tupperware and poke my own holes all over. All holes are about the size of a needle, and there is NO WAY my T's/slings are getting through.
What you can do though if you are not sure is maybe put some tape over the slits and then just poke your own pin sized holes.

worm's girl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
we put our baby singapore blue in a small KK figuring it couldn't fit through the slits, which it never even bothered he seemed content on the ground from the get go, but that didnt stop his food from escaping when we werent watching!

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Be very careful about ventilation slits. When I got my first slings, I underestimated how small they were, and had an escape. Luckily, I found her a day later, unharmed, but I certainly wouldn't risk it happening again.

matthias

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
they can get out the vent shafts and the big holes at the top where the handle is. I've seen 1/2" crickets crawl out of those. We don't put slings in the KK's untill they are well over an inche.

Iggy22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The slings and t's will try, even if they know they wont fit. It will only end in worst case scenario as far as I am concerned. I say, stick to things like jars and whatever. Things you can make your own holes in.

spiders4life

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lets just say i found my P regalis sling, walking across the wall one day! The holes in the jar i kept it in, was smaller than its abdomen. But the little son of a gun, found its way to freedom anyway:?