Rehousing question

TweedMcQueen

Arachnopeon
So I rehoused my G.pulchripes into a 5 gallon aquarium tonight. It's size appropriate. My question is about fall risk. I emptied a bag of coconut husk bedding into it to reduce the distance between the top and the floor but it is still a little taller than I would really like and my girl is on the wall. Anyone have any tips to avoiding this? Anything I can do to make the floor more hospitable immediately so that maybe future Ts don't hang out on the wall after transfer?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well, a re-housed Theraphosidae hanging on the enclosure 'walls' is absolutely normal. Try to view the whole thing as them... someone all of a sudden take away 'you' from your home, your safe haven, and put you into a brand new environment. Not the best, no matter how much class A perfect parameters the new home is. So it's normal.

Upload a pic, btw, so I can give you a better opinion about your question.

TweedMcQueen

Arachnopeon
Well, a re-housed Theraphosidae hanging on the enclosure 'walls' is absolutely normal. Try to view the whole thing as them... someone all of a sudden take away 'you' from your home, your safe haven, and put you into a brand new environment. Not the best, no matter how much class A perfect parameters the new home is. So it's normal.

Upload a pic, btw, so I can give you a better opinion about your question.
Yeah I knew it was a normal behavior, every one of mine have done it. Just didn't know if there was something more I could be doing to prevent it. I don't want Nova taking a spill! But it's mostly my fault this time as far as the danger goes, I underestimated how much substrate I would need.

Attachments

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yeah I knew it was a normal behavior, every one of mine have done it. Just didn't know if there was something more I could be doing to prevent it. I don't want Nova taking a spill! But it's mostly my fault this time as far as the danger goes, I underestimated how much substrate I would need.
Ok... while indeed I personally would add just a little more of substrate (let's say 3/4 cm) isn't that bad IMO. You know what I would do? Add a nice piece of cork bark.

TweedMcQueen

Arachnopeon
Ok... while indeed I personally would add just a little more of substrate (let's say 3/4 cm) isn't that bad IMO. You know what I would do? Add a nice piece of cork bark.
Thanks man. I'm probably just over worrying. She had a cork bark in her last enclosure but it was a bit unsavory when I went to transfer it so I'll probably pick up a new one this weekend. Most likely, based on past behavior, she will make a little hide down behind the plant. That's been her M.O.

Shudragon

Arachnopeon
Had this same thought when I rehoused my B. albo the other day, she was walking around the very top inner edges. But it is also only a few inches of a fall onto coco fiber, very very unlikely anything would happen.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Thanks man. I'm probably just over worrying. She had a cork bark in her last enclosure but it was a bit unsavory when I went to transfer it so I'll probably pick up a new one this weekend. Most likely, based on past behavior, she will make a little hide down behind the plant. That's been her M.O.
Maybe the substrate is a little too moist for her liking? What kind of lid do you have on there? Looks like a mesh lid? If yes, better to exchange it to acrylic with holes in it. Theraphosidae can get their tarsal claws stuck in them, resulting in losing legs or falling.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I think that height is ok. Generally you don't really want more than 1-1.5 inches DLS between the top of the sub and the lid...and that looks about there. I don't see a hide there...or am I missing something? Might made her transition easier.

TweedMcQueen

Arachnopeon
I think that height is ok. Generally you don't really want more than 1-1.5 inches DLS between the top of the sub and the lid...and that looks about there. I don't see a hide there...or am I missing something? Might made her transition easier.
No actual hide. I provided one in the last enclosure and she didn't really use it. Instead she liked to make a little depression behind the plant and nestle down. Not really a proper burrow but it gave her cover. She isn't shy at all. I think part of it is likely the temp difference between the new substrate and the old.

TweedMcQueen

Arachnopeon
Maybe the substrate is a little too moist for her liking? What kind of lid do you have on there? Looks like a mesh lid? If yes, better to exchange it to acrylic with holes in it. Theraphosidae can get their tarsal claws stuck in them, resulting in losing legs or falling.
Substrate is dry aside from a little damp near the bowl. I do need to replace the lid for sure as I don't want an injury. She isn't normally prone to climbing at all but still the acrylic is much better. She has calmed down a lot. Was hanging out on the ground like normal this morning.