Rehousing B. Albopilosum Question

RoadkillJack

Arachnopeon
My ~3" albo, Ishtar, molted recently and her enclosure seems a bit cramped now. So I went out and got her a bigger one!
Ishtar is my first T so everything has been an experience with her so far! But anyways, I wanted to hear other, more experienced keepers opinions on it to see if her new enclosure is okay and not too big/has too much in it, etc.

The substrate is Eco-Earth coco fiber, the bark was found in my backyard but was frozen for 2 weeks to kill anything on it, the coyote skull is real and was found out in nature, given a good hot water scrub/soak, frozen for 2 weeks as well, and has been on display for a year or so. And of course the faux ivy was from a bigger piece cut down into smaller sizes.
The skull has coco fiber stuffed into its nasal cavity and cranium so there's no chance of my T getting in there and getting stuck or something. And all the rough edges have been sanded down so no sharp edges are there! Same with the crystals edges that seemed sharp.

Under the bark has a nice little 'pre-made' burrow I made for her, and the skulls mouth has the coco fiber pushed down to make another little starter burrow.
The Eco-Earth is still a bit damp so I'm going to let it dry out before putting my T in it.

So does this seem like a good set up?, since I want to be the best keeper I can be for my little T and future ones to come! :) And you know, have pretty enclosures that are good for the T and good on the eyes.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I like that coyote skull, man, I have one as well that I've bought from my Arizona contact (but made in Mexico) Is a skull mixed with Santeria stuff but I wouldn't use one into a Theraphosidae enclosure because, no matter the sharp points removed, I don't like the idea of a "climb & fall" scenario where under there's pretty hard object/stuff like a coyote skull is.

Anyway it's not bad at all... I can't see (prob. my eyes, uh) the ventilation holes :-s

RoadkillJack

Arachnopeon
Thank you!

Yeah, that was the thing I was a little worried about was the height/not so soft thing to accidentally fall on, since NW terrestrials aren't really known for their climbing prowess. So I'll probably take out the lower jaw and bury the skull a bit more just in case!

Also this is one of those critter keeper set ups with the well ventilated lid, would side ventilation still be necessary with it? Because I can put a few in if it would help. :)

clive 82

Arachnoknight
Thank you!

Yeah, that was the thing I was a little worried about was the height/not so soft thing to accidentally fall on, since NW terrestrials aren't really known for their climbing prowess. So I'll probably take out the lower jaw and bury the skull a bit more just in case!

Also this is one of those critter keeper set ups with the well ventilated lid, would side ventilation still be necessary with it? Because I can put a few in if it would help. :)
Looks perfect
Thank you!

Looks perfect dude! You could add some small ventilation holes in the side as this will aid with cross ventilation. Its good to see you have done research before getting your T.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Thank you!

How large is your T and how deep is the substrate? Substrate should be so deep to 1.5 her leg length to the top. (haven't had my coffee yet, sorry about sentence structure). I keep all my Ts (except my Avic) in kritter keepers. Don't have to add more vents. Bake that sub in oven in a metal pan at approx 350°f until it's dry.
Okay here's where it's gonna hurt. Your set up is beautiful BUT....
Lose the coyote skull completely
Lose that crystal. If she falls on it, it'll kill her...maybe rupture her abdomen. It's game over if that happens.
The faux plants are cool, but don't be surprised when she digs it up and puts it in her water dish. ;)
Sorry I had to 86 the skull and crystal, but she could die from falling on it.
I laugh almost every day from my f B. albopilosum's antics. Enjoy her!!

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Ok. Just reread the original post. At that size she wants wandering-exploring room. But you've done great.

RoadkillJack

Arachnopeon
How large is your T and how deep is the substrate? Substrate should be so deep to 1.5 her leg length to the top. (haven't had my coffee yet, sorry about sentence structure). I keep all my Ts (except my Avic) in kritter keepers. Don't have to add more vents. Bake that sub in oven in a metal pan at approx 350°f until it's dry.
Okay here's where it's gonna hurt. Your set up is beautiful BUT....
Lose the coyote skull completely
Lose that crystal. If she falls on it, it'll kill her...maybe rupture her abdomen. It's game over if that happens.
The faux plants are cool, but don't be surprised when she digs it up and puts it in her water dish. ;)
Sorry I had to 86 the skull and crystal, but she could die from falling on it.
I laugh almost every day from my f B. albopilosum's antics. Enjoy her!!
Oh dang I didn't realize I could bake the substrate! Thanks for that tidbit! Definitely quicker than letting it dry on its own!
And darn, I was iffy about the crystal anyways. I love the look of them (I have many around my room), so I wondered about give Ishtar something pretty to bury or web up. So I can just put it back on a shelf somewhere. :)
But do you think the skull would be okay with the jaw taken off and half buried? I did worry about it being too tall with mouth open. I figure it wouldn't hurt any more than if she fell on the bark hide. If not I can always fine a safer "center piece" for her home.

And I hear you on that! A week before she molted she was trying her hardest to make what I called a "dirt curtain" ... Until she decided she didn't like it and put it in her water dish. I figure she'll go and redecorate once she's in her new place and make it better for her.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Seriously yall, there are rocks and sharp objects in nature that Ts could possibly collide with..
The skull and crystal are perfectly fine, if you ask me. Nice set up!

RoadkillJack

Arachnopeon
Seriously yall, there are rocks and sharp objects in nature that Ts could possibly collide with..
The skull and crystal are perfectly fine, if you ask me. Nice set up!
Thanks! :D
And that's what I was wondering about since a LOT of people have those coconut shell hides or those curved wood/bark hides. I know NW terrestrials aren't very good climbers, but a fall on either of those would be just as bad or not as bad if they fell on bone I'd like to think. The enclosure all in all is only about 5" high, and then 3" or so of coco fiber. And then being about 11" in diameter. Not whole lot of room to mess up and fall I think.
But I'm still a T newbie so like I said, I'm just guessing on "weird" things to put in their enclosures, thus why I wanted a few extra opinions :)

cold blood

Staff member
That stuff is fine out of the bag, there's no reason not to just put the t right in there. I don't get why people stress over a little moisture, its not like it was a re-constituted brick that was soaking in water.

RoadkillJack

Arachnopeon
That stuff is fine out of the bag, there's no reason not to just put the t right in there. I don't get why people stress over a little moisture, its not like it was a re-constituted brick that was soaking in water.
Well this stuff was actually, since a compressed brick was cheaper than a bag, which my LPS was out of. Thus why I was going to let it air dry a bit before putting my T in there, but baking it was a much better idea! :)

RoadkillJack

Arachnopeon
And of course I'd get her in her new, fixed up home, watched her explore a bit, went to bed, and woke up to her having closed off the bark hide with her in it.

Probably due to the stress of moving? Oh well, having just molted almost 2 weeks ago and just eating 2 days ago, who knows how long it'll be until I see her again. T's are strange and fickle things.