Redphase versicolors?

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was doing an image search on Google for A. versicolors, and I came across a couple of pics that are labled A. versicolor, but lack green and blue pigment, but still look adult and have the body structure of versicolors. Are there color variants of this species, or could I just be looking at mislabels?

Here are the links to the pics in question:

Picture 1

Green carapace but...

Jon

Midwest Art

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Picture 1: a versi in need of a shed or old.

other picture looks more normal but colors can vary as they approach a shed date, stage of development, and age. I have an adult pink zebra beauty that is bright orange thoroughout. Goliaths shed out mocha dark brown prior to shed they are light orange yet I've still been asked about color variations. The dark brown/black carapace on a M. robustum can change to light orange prior to shed also.

I've also heard of "purple phase" versi's. None have been substantiated.

N-Joy
Art

Last edited:

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks Art. I took a closer look at Picture 1, and its carapace does infact have a dark, yet very dull, green hue to it. I've had extremely bad luck raising arborials: ants, humidity, rehousing, cohabitation... But I really would like to have at least one in my collection. I really like versicolor and minitrix, and haven't tried either yet. I really like the robustness of the versicolor. And I really like the color of the versi in Picture 1. Maybe I should try one more time. Oh I don't know! I'm really tired of losing my arborials :rolleyes: :rolleyes: !

Jon

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yikes - Russ Gurly? There's a name I haven't heard in a while...

I agree with Art, molt proximity can cause a versi to look more brownish-red. From molt to molt, most theraphosid species tend to vary in hue and shade, anyway.

bill