Redecorating

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So, I was thinking of redecorating my t's cages with some driftwood, rocks etc.. from outside.. Anything I can really do to avoid a mite infestation? or would the temperature outside make it so parasites wouldn't be lively? Right now it's in the mid 60's

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well where do you think they [mites] live during the winter? ;)

They are all over and even if you have indoor house plants they reside in the soil. Anything you take from the outside you should clean well with a hard brush to knock off anything you don't want then either soak and bake in the oven or just bake in the oven on a cookie sheet or something similar for up to an hour at a lower heat, say 200-250F.

This will help dry out the piece of wood and kill any macro or micro organisms that may have been residing in the wood. Allow to cool and use in the enclosure. If your husbandry is poor you'll get mites and other things but if you keep conditions ideal and not over water and spot clean the enclosure you should be fine.

Regardless of how hard you try you'll always have *some* amount of mites or other organisms in the substrate. You cannot get 100% of them but again if your husbandry is good it should not pose a problem.

Remember to stick to hardwoods and avoid "green" wood (pieces that have moisture under the bark, ie: still alive) or anything that is a conifer or of the pine family of trees as their sap and chemicals released are a natural insecticide that can harm your pet.

Don't bake rocks as if you do they may explode, literally. Scrub things down with warm water and if they are not porous then possibly use some light dishwashing soap as well.

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks man, What about plants from outside? there are some small cacti plants up by my moms house that look quite intriguing and I think will look quite well in the T's cages.

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Cacti plants are rater dangerous to your Ts. Anything you may want to use from the outside, bake in the pre-heated oven at 350 for a bit, or, If it's wood, I boil it. Live plants, I dont mess with. Period.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Live plants what you can do is this..

Replant them inside your home in clean peat or fertilizer free compost. Allow them to live inside for a few weeks to months to allow anything that happened to come in with them the chance to leave.

You may never get everything but many here just buy plants from home stores such as Home Depot/Lowes and replant them in their enclosures without much harm.

I got a few cuttings from my mothers large plants and started them in terrcotta pots here on my cabinets and may plant a few here in the next coming months.

I would be careful of bringing in any plants that were/could have been sprayed with pesticides and the such as those types of bug killers remain as a film on the foliage and if introduced into the enclosure could cause problems.

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
good point.. I was thinking of getting some succulents to plant in my G. Rosea and P. Murinus enclosures. Along with adding a peat/sand mix.