Red leg millipede death-some info...

Kimo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well 2 of my recently aquired red leg millipede males died in last 2 days...I had 2 pairs and only males died...I don't know what it is, they just wasn't active and was on their back or side and one of them lost some legs randomly. Anyone knows something about that or has any suggestions? I have had them for 5 days.

I noticed that those red legs are much less active and smaller than AGB, is that always the case or just here?

Thanks in advance!

rag

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
through my experience keeping millipedes they tend to loose legs when they are not being feed enough rotting wood and calcium.

Kimo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
through my experience keeping millipedes they tend to loose legs when they are not being feed enough rotting wood and calcium.
I don't have that much experience, I have 2 pairs of AGBs and they are much more active than those red legs and are much bigger and fiesty, they eat everything regularly.

Those red legs were very new and was with me for only 4-5 days, so that was a mistake of some previous keeper...shame. But I want to know if that is realy like that you said, that Ca is involved...I red that rotting stuff is not so important for their lives, but is good to have...

Bark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sometimes the millipedes get injured in shipping, live for a few days or a week, and die slow painful deaths. I had a male AGB that got out of his container during shipment. He seemed fine for a day or 2 (no noticeable injuries) and then just went down hill. It was really depressing.

If I remember reading a previous post, you got these from a store. You may be able to get something for your loss. Find out when they were delivered to the store. It may just be bad luck.

Kimo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I got it from a show in Prague and I am from Serbia. Friend of mine pick them up, but I can get others hopefully soon. I was just courious and I hate this situation, when we know so little about those great creatures...