Red Eared Slider Qs

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Today, I acquired two red eared slider hatchlings on my foray to Chinatown.

I have a spare 10 gallon that I plan to use, at least at the moment.

What would be a good filter for these turtles?

Do I need substrate?

Is that tank big enough?

What should I use for a basking spot?

Do they need UV?

What to feed? (They came with this little container of fish flakes, which I am assuming is not good for them)

Salamat.

Toirtis

Arachnobaron
The care sheet linked to is not bad. A couple of points though..

1. Make sure you get the full-spectrum UV light (I suggest http://www.t-rexproducts.com/products/lighting/active-uv-heat/ )...there is no hard evidence yet that proves conclusively that most reptiles can absorb vitamin D3 in their diet.

2. When the turtle gets to be a decent size, aim for a pond canister filter with a UV steriliser....these work far better than an aquarium filter on the larger particulate matter in a turtle tank, and the steriliser will keep the water smelling a lot better, particularly on warmer days. http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsU...asterpressurizedfilterwithuvsterilizerpuv4000

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yep, these guys are a decent size, certainly don't stay itty bitty, lol. Not massive turtles, but people usually aren't prepared for it

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They should have deep enough water that they can swim around in and start hunting when the time comes. They look really cute when they're learning.
They're very swift! I would get the lil 10 for a dollar fish and let them go in there and just sit back and watch.
Gravel should be fine as substrate?
A spot light worked for mine on one side of the tank and they absolutely love to bask..
At that size a rock or floating island should be good for them to be able to come out and bask and dry completely, because they can get illnesses that are irreversible. (They're tiny right?)
Make sure the water never gets too murky, and always remember to wash those hands right away after handling...
Oh and the tank is more than perfect as far as size. They'll be able to grow and have plenty of space..
You'll probably notice one of them may be dominant.. one of mine would take over when it was feeding time, or come and sneak a swipe when the other would catch a fishy before her..
there's more but I'm on my first round of coffee... :rolleyes:

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for all the help everyone. Yes, I am prepared for when they get bigger, :).

What would be the problem with gravel, possible compaction?

Toirtis

Arachnobaron
What would be the problem with gravel, possible compaction?
Yes, primarily...turtles eat with nothing resembling finesse, and it is all too easy for them to inadvertently swallow gravel. Also, substrate tends to trap waste, so a bare-bottomed tank is easier to keep clean.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Do not feed rosies or goldfish unless you are just feeding it as a treat. They need more vegetation in their diet anyway. If you feed any fish at all, I would strongly suggest feeder guppies.

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do not feed rosies or goldfish unless you are just feeding it as a treat. They need more vegetation in their diet anyway. If you feed any fish at all, I would strongly suggest feeder guppies.
I always fed the feeder guppies as a treat and that went well.
You get to enjoy their survival instincts. (your turtles)
Your kill isn't always your meal!
Their main food should definitely be mainly turtle pellets+vitamins.
I never has a problem with gravel the larger kind like small smooth rocks, and as far as cleaning, I would change the water about twice a month.
They're small so you can try different ways for now.
I just never liked an entirely bare bottom tank, so I guess it is a matter of preference.
Enjoy these Warren!

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I always fed the feeder guppies as a treat and that went well.
You get to enjoy their survival instincts. (your turtles)
Your kill isn't always your meal!
Their main food should definitely be mainly turtle pellets+vitamins.
I never has a problem with gravel the larger kind like small smooth rocks, and as far as cleaning, I would change the water about twice a month.
They're small so you can try different ways for now.
I just never liked an entirely bare bottom tank, so I guess it is a matter of preference.
Enjoy these Warren!
The gravel can also scratch the plastrons of the hatchlings as well. Using larger, really smooth river stones would be the best bet if you decided to use a gravel substrate. Other than that, they make a plastic turtle grass that you can put on the bottom of the tank and use a small layer of rocks to weight it down. The turtles would be less likely to come in contact with the stones and you will still have something on the bottom. Bare bottom is still the best bet though.

DireWolf0384

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a Alligator Snapper and its far easier to keep the tank clean without any gravel at all. Those RES should be fine for now but eventually they would need a larger tank.