Red cambridgei...

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
What's the reddest any of you have seen Psalmopoeus cambridgei? I was intrigued to find a group of spiderlings, (all siblings) growing up with red coloration and pattern, instead of green. They are the only ones I purchased from a sack months ago, I was never able to see the parents.

Pre-molt coloration is like chestnut brown, and post-molt is bright red and shiny gold head. This is not young coloration either, the biggest is pushing 2.5". I've never seen this in cambridgei before. What say you?

I'm not going as far as to say its a 'red color form'. But I know juvenile cambridgei coloration, and the difference is marginal.

-Sean

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
so... that means you pretty much "have" to force grow to inbreed them =P

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sean this sounds really interesting, would you be able to post any pics?

Last edited:

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah, i would love to see these also. they sound very interesting.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Yes, I'm working on getting some good pics, but as you all know, my photography skills are quite lacking, so I can't quite capture the 'redness'.

But I'm quite excited for these to grow up. With their quick rate of growth, it won't be long. And I'll definately want to pair these up.

-Sean

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes, I'm working on getting some good pics, but as you all know, my photography skills are quite lacking, so I can't quite capture the 'redness'.

But I'm quite excited for these to grow up. With their quick rate of growth, it won't be long. And I'll definately want to pair these up.

-Sean
Yeah, yeah, yeah. HUrry up with the pictures! Haha, just kidding man. I'll be patient..:rolleyes:

If you do end up producing a viable eggsac from these, put my name on some. It's spelled... PAUL NOVAK. Ok, thanks!:D

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sounds sweet Sean! Cant wait to see photos. I have one coming in tomorrow so i'll love to see what the comparison is.

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would love to see some of these! If you can get them in natural light and turn off the flash, you can sometimes capture the color better.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
I don't like this thread sitting around in the depths of the boards looking like some unsolved mystery. Just so everyone knows it turned out these were what many of you now keep as P. langenbucheri.

-Sean

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I don't like this thread sitting around in the depths of the boards looking like some unsolved mystery. Just so everyone knows it turned out these were what many of you now keep as P. langenbucheri.

-Sean

Thanks for the follow thru. That's what I thought, mislabeled species.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Makes sense...they are closer to cambridgei in looks than any other Psalm. I've seen. Well except the fact that a 4" cambridgei still has some growing to do and a 4" langenbucheri is a full size adult.

Last edited:

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Got pics? Sorry for my disbelief, but I tend to question everything until its proven. P. langenbucheri were very rare in 2007 when this thread was started ( and still are pretty rare). How would it be possible to accidentally get some purchased as Psalmopoeus cambridgei?

Eric Reynolds was one of the first, if not the very first to have them in the U.S. He posted a sling in March of 2009.

It just doesn't make sense:?

Later, Tom

Last edited:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Got pics? Sorry for my disbelief, but I tend to question everything until its proven. P. langenbucheri were very rare in 2007 when this thread was started ( and still are pretty rare). How would it be possible to accidentally get some purchased as Psalmopoeus cambridgei?

Eric Reynolds was one of the first, if not the very first to have them in the U.S. He posted a sling in March of 2009.

It just doesn't make sense:?

Later, Tom
That is some interesting info there, Tom...

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Maybe they were Tapinauchenius?T.gigas are pretty red!
-Chris

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Hmm.. You're right. This is very weird. And to be honest I should have left the answer as a bit of 'strongly believed' to be, rather than 'it was'. Because of course its too long ago to be sure.

Okay, so first of all, I definitely don't have any evidence left, so if anyone doesn't want to believe me that's fine, I'm not here to sell these to anyone. This was just too long ago back as a teenager living with my parents still. But I do appreciate the chance to discuss possibilities with people who knew the timeline of what was around back then. So all I can remember for sure was they were purchased at a reptile show of some kind, I believe in Ohio. They were sloppily labeled P. trinidad and with the price, (~$20) I assumed cambridgei and bought a few. What was killing me was the fact that they had the ribbed kind of abdominal pattern that cambridgei have, but the deep red was undeniable. The contrasting shiny goldish head had also led me to think reduncas, but that seemed really improbable for the time as well.. and again, reduncas don't keep have that ribbed pattern.

So not but two days after posting this thread, I received an e-mail from a guy who just said he knew what I was talking about, and he wanted them. Mentioning something about 'mistaken psalmopoeus'. After I sent him a couple pictures he said it was exactly what he was after, and paid me a little over what I paid for them. He also said to not say any more about it, and he would let me in on what came out of future pairings. Me being my naive young dumb self thought it was cool to be a part of something like this, excitedly sent them off and left the thread alone. Never heard from him again.

Now, almost a decade later, I was still so curious about what I had, and I thought the mystery had been solved. I'm seeing P. langenbucheri and it is just a spitting image of what I had. So Tom, do you still keep in contact with Eric? Do you happen to remember how/when they first made it into the states? I was under the impression the Canadians had them around then, but I can't tell for sure.

Let me also completely reiterate my earlier post and say that I am by absolutely no means claiming to be somehow responsible for langenbucheri here in the states, or that I helped decide/discover anything new of any kind. I didn't do anything, I just know whatever I had wasn't cambridgei, and I would be darn happy to figure out what it was, and why that stand had them for sale. So in the mean time, any ideas?

-Sean

Last edited:

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
They only started trickling into Europe in 2007. When Eric posted that pic they were new to the U.S. in March of 2009. I didn't take it as you were saying you were the first to have langenbucheri either, no sweat. My random stab in the dark, would be maybe you had I. hirsutum lol, but with out a pic this will get no where :(

Later, Tom

cold blood

Staff member
I suspect the lack of a simple pic is the sole reason why this is still being debated 8 years later.....and why it will never be solved.