Red Bird-Eating Scorpion

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Brian,

I was under the impression that you can generally tell by the separation of the pectines? At least that's what Scott tells me.
Maybe so but I am not familiar with that method and I am only going on my own experience like I do with all my posts ;)

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Babycurus jacksoni is known to attack and kill large amount of cattle in South America. Sometimes they gang up and devour a whole cow in an hour! :D {D

There is no difference in pectinecount in B.jacksoni, so stick to what Brian explained about the chela, way easier and you do not have to catch your scorp.

Dorcus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Babycurus jacksoni is known to attack and kill large amount of cattle in South America. Sometimes they gang up and devour a whole cow in an hour! :D {D

There is no difference in pectinecount in B.jacksoni, so stick to what Brian explained about the chela, way easier and you do not have to catch your scorp.
Really?! Wow... That'd be a sight to see!

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

i wasnt talking about pectine count.

i meant the angle of separation between the pectines.

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I brought it home yesterday. Its incredibly cute. The store gave me a cricket for it, but all it ate was the head. Its got some weight on it already. They tend to keep their invert cages crawling with crickets, but his was empty.

He has very bulbous chela, so I am going to assume its a male until I can get a pic uploaded for yall to confirm.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi Nbond,

In general male scorpions have more teeth and longer pectines that you can see protrude from the sides. But in buthids is is different per genus.
In Babycurus, there are not a lot of differences in V shape of the pectines. In some Tityus the males have a more V-shaped pectines.

Again, comparing the chela is easier.

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi Nbond,

In general male scorpions have more teeth and longer pectines that you can see protrude from the sides. But in buthids is is different per genus.
In Babycurus, there are not a lot of differences in V shape of the pectines. In some Tityus the males have a more V-shaped pectines.

Again, comparing the chela is easier.

Hey Michiel!

Well, you're the expert. I was just going off of information that I got off of my VL friends.

I suppose the V shape is a generalization that can be used in many cases, but not all.

Thanks!

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi Nbond,

No thanks:D
The more I learn about Buthids, the more questions it raises. Just when you think you had figured them out, you learn new information which turn your whole ideas around. You can use chela comparison in all Babycurus spp., except for one B.centrurimorphus, which has elongated pedipalps and metasoma.
cheers, Michiel

YouLosePayUp

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Coming soon to a theatre near you. Do a search for "Caledonia, Ontario."

On a more related note, I would rather see a relatively benign scorpion listed as "deadly" than the opposite. If you do a search through the archives you will find some instances of "desert hairies" that pack a bit more punch (A.australis, L.quinquestriatus etc.). Also, I've found a juvenile A.australis labled as "Yellow sand scorpion. Hesitant to sting. Makes a great beginner scorpion."

Cheers,
Dave

LMAO what about that special protest day not too long ago where they shut down trains with a bus and blocked major highways :wall:

"Also, I've found a juvenile A.australis labled as "Yellow sand scorpion. Hesitant to sting. Makes a great beginner scorpion."

P.S. not to mention the L.q.'s that Mori bought.