Recommended Substrate for my T's?!?!?

Fauch1981

Arachnopeon
Can anyone please advise me on a good substrate for my T's. I'm new to the hobby and have been doing alot of research, but there are so many recommendations!

I currently own a G. Rosea but have a G. Pulchra on the way.

Most sites advise to use a 50/50 mix of peetmoss and vermiculite, but I have been reluctent to use just any peetmoss because I'm afraid of chemicals killing my T's
My LPS recommends using a substrate called ECOEARTH which is a Coconut Fiber substrate. Has anyone heard of/used this.

Any advise is much appreciated!!!! :confused:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Peat moss normally does not have any chemical additives. Just check the label before using, I use only peat in all of my enclosures. And with the two species you have peat will do just fine.

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
peat? coco?

I have about half on peat, half on coco fiber. So far, I think I prefer peat, at least for those that like to burrow, since it holds it's shape much better than the coco fiber. For webby, non-burrowing T's the coco seems fine. I do like coco fiber for arboreals and slings as well. Also, you can't beat the price for peat when compared to coco!

Sunar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use peat myself also. You can mix with vermiculite if you wish but you don't need to.

~Fred

Fauch1981

Arachnopeon
Well it seems peat is the way to go. I had difficulty finding in at my local Home Depot. Is there a brand you recommend to use? Perhaps I can find it online?!?!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well it seems peat is the way to go. I had difficulty finding in at my local Home Depot. Is there a brand you recommend to use? Perhaps I can find it online?!?!
You cant find peat at home depot? I find that hard to believe, they sell it at in 1.5 cubic feet and 5, something like that, it does not come in a small bag it comes in a bail type cube, and for me a big bag lasts me a long time!

Fauch1981

Arachnopeon
Apparently peat moss is in high demand in South Florida because everytime I look they're out of stock! :) I know it comes in large bails... I'll just have to shop around.

I appreciate the help!!!

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Apparently peat moss is in high demand in South Florida because everytime I look they're out of stock! :) I know it comes in large bails... I'll just have to shop around.

I appreciate the help!!!
i was using a couple different things originally - based on how my first T was set up for me by the reptile store. However, due to various reasons i have rehoused all my T's on dry peat only and prefer it over everything else. For my slings and some tropical aboreals (Avics & Pokies) i add some vermeculite and it is all moist. However, the two you have i would definitely recommend straight dry organic peat moss.

Do you have a Walmart around? i also bought the huge bag of Peat from Lowes or HomeDepot because i know it will get used for gardening also but i heard Walmart sells smaller bags of organic Peat. You may want to check that out since you just have a couple T's - for now anyway... i bet it won't be too long before you acquire some insane number like the rest of us! :evil:

jen650s

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I generally buy Schultz's orgainc peat moss at Walmart for about $2.50 for an 8 dry quart bag unless I am changing out all of my enclosures at once. A bag will put a minimum of 3" in 10 small to medium enclosures.

Sheazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yep, I got a small bag of Organic peat moss @ walmart for around 4$. They also have horticulture vermiculite for about the same price. I mix the two (60/40 Mix) in water to get it moist, bake it in the oven @ 250 degrees for about 45 minutes, let it cool and voila! Adding vermiculite will both make it easier for you T to dig through (for burrowers), as it wont compact as much as just soil alone. The vermiculite also helps to keep it aerated so less of a chance of mold or fungus growth. I use the same mix for all my T's and they seem to be fine with it. I usually throw some sphagnum moss into the mix too. My burrowers like to move it around and use it as "building material"..lol.

chilean

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
peat moss soil mix

I use peat moss soil mix, (found at your local garden center) it has peat moss, vermiculite and black earth, no chimals added (it says natural on the package, carefully read packaging). my g. rosea loves it and even digs burrows.

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use peat/vermiculite for all my T's and haven't had any problems yet with it. The added vermiculite helps maintain humidity as it absorbs the water easily or so I'm told.

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Can anyone please advise me on a good substrate for my T's. I'm new to the hobby and have been doing alot of research, but there are so many recommendations!

I currently own a G. Rosea but have a G. Pulchra on the way.

Most sites advise to use a 50/50 mix of peetmoss and vermiculite, but I have been reluctent to use just any peetmoss because I'm afraid of chemicals killing my T's
My LPS recommends using a substrate called ECOEARTH which is a Coconut Fiber substrate. Has anyone heard of/used this.

Any advise is much appreciated!!!! :confused:
In the words of the immortal Rick C. West, "Good old dirt! Earth." (Arachnoculture vol 1 - issue 1)

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
peat moss

Of different substrates ive tried, example dirt, dirt/moss, bark (not aromatic), of all these I like straight peat moss. My terrestrials adapted to it fine if I also provide a piece of bark for structure. They spend time rearranging the peat moss around their bark hides, besides sitting out on the bark.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i use peatmoss,echo earth,cypress mulch,mix em all up been useing for many moons works great for all of my inverts:)

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Substrate

For my Gramastola sp's i use coco fiber that comes in brick form and have had great results. Easy to clean, stays dry which is good for the T's you have and does not seem to bother this sp of T's.
Peat moss is ok in my book, cheap but make sure there is no pesticides in the stuff you buy. The down fall to peat mosss in my opinion is the extras that come in it such as sticks or bark etc etc.
I would not use vermiculite because this sp does just fine on dry conditions.