Recomend me a T =]

DamoK21

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey guys im looking to buy me anouther peocilotheria sp and im looking for a few recomendations on a great poki species =]

i currently only have the P.regalis and wanting more MoRe MORE !!! =]

heres what imlooking for

it has to be a poki

aggressive ;)

and diffrent (if that makes sence)

what would you guys recomend ?!?

cheers guys

Royal_T's

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would say P. ornata... They are absolutely gorgeous and not to mention they are one of the largest arboreals with a leg span just under the T. blondi.
At 9 inches fully grown they are huge beautiful Ts. The ornata is one of my top favorite Ts

Spunky

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I second the P. ornata, of course you can always splurge and get a P. metallica (although not the most "agressive" IMO). Next in line would be the P. rufilata which is my personal favorite next to the metallica. I would just buy all of them;)

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
P.rufilata.....maybe the biggest one of all.....a toss up anyway with P.ornata.
Beautiful colours and very fast,the fastest in my experience.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I guess I gotta go with whats already been said, I'd reccomend a P. ornata or a P. rufilata they're both large, and gorgeous species. :D

DamoK21

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
sounds great guys im thinkind P.ornata or maybe no wait i duno lol ill get both :p wunt be a prob just gota set anouther home up for the little guy gota have em both :p cheers guys =]

Smitty78

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would go with P. miranda, P. rufuliata, and P. formosa in that order. You are not going to find an aggressive pokie. All pokies would much rather hide than come out with fangs a blazing like a OBT, or S. cal. Some of them do have more potent venom than others, and are more flighty as slings. None of them are aggressive however. I would suggest going with what you find most attractive.

Last edited:

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would have to agree with the ornata or rufilita. I mean if your wanting a aggressive pokie look what the ornata did to Rob ha. Cant go wrong with any pokie. Good luck. Cant wait for some pics.

Matt

Smitty78

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would have to agree with the ornata or rufilita. I mean if your wanting a aggressive pokie look what the ornata did to Rob ha. Cant go wrong with any pokie. Good luck. Cant wait for some pics.

Matt
What happened to Rob had nothing to do with the P. ornata being aggressive. It had everything to do with Rob sticking his hand in an enclosure during a situation where he was asking to get bit.

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Pokies are not aggressive,defensive and very quick yes.
There are out and out aggressive spiders (selenocosmia dichromata for instance) but never pokies.
Paul

DamoK21

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
lol i no pokies in the sence aint aggressive like obt's and would rather run and hide but when i said aggressive i ment in the sence of it being more well abit like my regalis "protect its home at all costs" im not looking to get bit just something more colourfull ya no :p

thanks guys ill be posting some pics of all my T's i have now and my new poki when i decide and order him/her after christmas =]

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Even with an S. cal and a psychotic P. cambridgei, and witnessing firsthand a crap-ton of rage displays that would make my OBT blush....I'm still very disinclined to attach the term "Aggressive" to a tarantula. Every display I've ever seen has been somehow provoked....if even the slightest movement sets that spider off then it was still a provoked reaction, as something had to have set it off in the first place.

If you want an uber-defensive Pokie, I've heard that the P. ornata, and P. rufilata are the foul-tempered ones from this genus. But overall, Pokies are just big softees.

Now, if you want an uber-mean (as opposed to defensive) OW arboreal species, then get a Stromatoplema calceatum. That one will put hair on your set for sure. Mine is a 3" female named Lilith, who will put out her boluses and molts for me.......just as long as I don't touch her hide, web, burrow, substrate, or any setae, palp, or leg I see poking out her hidey-hole. Otherwise, it's like having a T that's a built-in pencil sharpener. :cool:

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In my experience with the Poecilotheria genre, while they do stand and fight their ground, they tend to be pretty predictable. Slings do run around and get freaked out, but as they reach about 2" they get less flighty. This is only my personal experience, I'm not saying this is true of all pokies, just observations I've made with ours. My favourite Poecilotheria sp is the formosa, I'm also a big fan of the pederseni. Honestly, I think the pederseni is overlooked. They get rather large (although I've heard males tend to mature small) and they're beautiful.

Cass

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What happened to Rob had nothing to do with the P. ornata being aggressive. It had everything to do with Rob sticking his hand in an enclosure during a situation where he was asking to get bit.
So your gonna tell me ornatas arnt aggressive?

Smitty78

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So your gonna tell me ornatas arnt aggressive?
No they aren't. Of the 5 that I have, not one of them is aggressive. 1 of my larger females is a bit more defensive than the others, but even she prefers to huddle down and hide unless you really mess with her. There is not such a thing as an aggressive tarantula.

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No they aren't. Of the 5 that I have, not one of them is aggressive. 1 of my larger females is a bit more defensive than the others, but even she prefers to huddle down and hide unless you really mess with her. There is not such a thing as an aggressive tarantula.
I disagree with you, but im not gonna set here and argue with you. Its pretty pointless.

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was going to say this but I didn't want to be the one to start the whole defensive/aggressive argument.

Our ornata isn't defensive either, we rehoused him a few weeks ago and were dreading it (we had a certain experience with him bolting out of his old enclosure and making a break for it), but it was one of the easiest rehousings we've ever done. Same when we rehoused our miranda and metallica. We find ours extremely predictable so I would much rather take on our ornata or any of our other pokies than say, our Taps...they're a different level of insane.

Cassandra

Smitty78

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I disagree with you, but im not gonna set here and argue with you. Its pretty pointless.
You can disagree with me all you want. One day you will learn the whole defensive/aggressive debate, or read the 50+ threads about it here on AB.