Recluse

Lizamphid

Arachnopeon
Hi
Just joined the forum from England. Can anyone please confirm if the Recluse is found in North Carolina, as my partners mother live in Clements, and they told me they have them there, on a recent vist there i failed to find any

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The Carolinas are not listed as being a range for recluse.
However, when people move from ranges to non-ranges they are transferred in packing sometimes.

imo one has a better chance winning the lottery than finding a recluse in
NC/SC:)

Also range maps tend to change:D

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
We just had this topic discussed recently on here, when a member who lives in NC claimed that his house was infested with "Brown Recluses", and he couldn't spray because of his tarantulas, and he wanted to know how to get rid of the "Recluses". When I pointed out that this species is not supposed to be found in the Carolinas, that was the last we heard of him. Since I live here in the Carolinas myself, I know from experience that nearly every structure has a healthy population of Southern Black House Spiders, Kukulcania hibernalis, and that immature specimens and adult males are often mistaken for "Brown Recluses". I'd be willing to bet that your partner's mom is seeing these, NOT L. reclusa, in her house.

pitbulllady

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yep, just imagine how much money the pest control companies are making on people freaking out about recluse.:rolleyes:

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think u guys are lookin at some other range map ..cause NC/SC are within range. The only barrier that has stopped an easy spread East into those states has been the Appalachians. BUT...they be spreading from the South ...up thru Alabama (big population now...10 years ago..barely any) then Georgia ...(heres a Fox News link ..its FOX, has to be true! :rolleyes: :D ) http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,264643,00.html
Once established within the Georgia coastal plain there'll be no stoppin' em. :cool: So you Carolinians...warn your silverfish to beware! :D

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think u guys are lookin at some other range map ..cause NC/SC are within range. The only barrier that has stopped an easy spread East into those states has been the Appalachians. BUT...they be spreading from the South ...up thru Alabama (big population now...10 years ago..barely any) then Georgia ...(heres a Fox News link ..its FOX, has to be true! :rolleyes: :D ) http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,264643,00.html
Once established within the Georgia coastal plain there'll be no stoppin' em. :cool: So you Carolinians...warn your silverfish to beware! :D
I've seen several range maps for L. reclusa that shows them in the Carolinas, and while I totally get the irony and sarcasm of your "if it's Fox, it has to be true"(what DO they have against animals, anyway?), I'm still very skeptical. I've spoken with a Clemson/UGA arachnologist while on a spider survey of SC's only National Park about these spiders, and he confirmed that there were no verifiable populations within the Carolinas. This was last year, so I doubt much has changed. Only ONE confirmed specimen has been found in the Carolinas, in Spartenburg(Up-State, northwestern corner of SC), but it was found dead, in a suitcase...of a person who'd vacationed in Missouri. I tend to take things like the Fox report in the same light as the map that claims that in 10 years, Burmese Pythons will be well established as far west as San Francisco and as far north as New Jersey, due to global warming, and will be killing and eating pets, native wildlife and humans across the entire lower 75 % of the country. Like crpy said, the pest control business is probably reaping the benefits, though, of that kind of fear-mongering, by convincing many a homeowner that their house is infested with deadly spiders, which only they know how to get rid of.

pitbulllady

hardlucktattoo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've seen several range maps for L. reclusa that shows them in the Carolinas, and while I totally get the irony and sarcasm of your "if it's Fox, it has to be true"(what DO they have against animals, anyway?), I'm still very skeptical. I've spoken with a Clemson/UGA arachnologist while on a spider survey of SC's only National Park about these spiders, and he confirmed that there were no verifiable populations within the Carolinas. This was last year, so I doubt much has changed. Only ONE confirmed specimen has been found in the Carolinas, in Spartenburg(Up-State, northwestern corner of SC), but it was found dead, in a suitcase...of a person who'd vacationed in Missouri. I tend to take things like the Fox report in the same light as the map that claims that in 10 years, Burmese Pythons will be well established as far west as San Francisco and as far north as New Jersey, due to global warming, and will be killing and eating pets, native wildlife and humans across the entire lower 75 % of the country. Like crpy said, the pest control business is probably reaping the benefits, though, of that kind of fear-mongering, by convincing many a homeowner that their house is infested with deadly spiders, which only they know how to get rid of.

pitbulllady
hey yea im not really infested with them I just have alot around my house i will snap some pics when i can sory i dont really follow the true spider area of ab i will take some pics to post when i can

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yea im not really infested with them I just have alot around my house i will snap some pics when i can sory i dont really follow the true spider area of ab i will take some pics to post when i can
Cant wait to see the truth behind mystery! :D ;)