Reasons not to get a pet tarantula???

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Well, i agree that they shouldn't be handled and are often treated as disposable merchandise. It's true that they can live for decades and this long timeframe might be enough for people who get them as a novelty to grow tired of caring for them. And they totally aren't into us.
But it's freakin peta. If you let them convince you on this, what's next? Seal fur? Bacon?

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
It's bad enough that it comes from Peta. However, Peta aside, I Immediately discarded the validity, once I read "Spiders do have feelings," in the very first paragraph.

slocoj91

Arachnosquire
Peta has killed domestic pets they've 'saved' and thinks no animals should be pets. They lack true understanding of the animals they claim to care about. Not worth anyone's time.

Pros and cons to all pets but they can be mitigated and some are less important or impactful to different people.

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
The whole argument about animals being inappropriate because of social behavior or lack thereof is self-contradictory. First, they argue "X animal isn't a pet because it's social and therefore needs too much interaction for someone to care for it", and then they argue "X animal isn't a pet because it's not social and you can't interact with it".

Even leaving aside from the fact that you could just keep the animal without actually interacting with it, those two arguments directly contradict each other. You shouldn't keep social animals because you have to interact with them but you also shouldn't keep non-social animals because you shouldn't interact with them? Which is it?

Edit: There's also the fact way too many people assume domestication makes an animal genuinely enjoy being kept as a pet.....which it doesn't in many cases. Domestication is selective breeding for ANY trait for ANY purpose, not just selectively breeding something for companionship. And this doesn't even get into cases like house cats where they self-domesticated so have changed little in behavior from their wild ancestors.

Last edited:

HooahArmy

Arachnoknight
"Spiders DO have feelings."
- Anyone who has tried to rehouse an OBT

I once read an article from Peta back in the early 2000s encouraging a vegan diet for pets, including dogs and cats. That to me was critter abuse.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
At least they got a couple of nice shots of Brachys. I definitely do not see the longevity as a hindrance, no that's probably the best feature about them. I have a small part of nature with me and it ought to still be with me well into my retirement years. That's something I'm really looking forward to !

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Tarantulas Just Aren’t That Into You
You're breaking my heart.

Tarantulas Can Live for Decades
That's why we buy them.

Tarantulas ‘See’ With Their Feet
So what's your point?

Tarantulas Shouldn’t Be Handled
That's the first smart thing you've said.

There’s No Such Thing as an Ethical ‘Pet’ Tarantula
I don't catch wild ones. I order captive bred Ts.

slocoj91

Arachnosquire
"Spiders DO have feelings."
- Anyone who has tried to rehouse an OBT

I once read an article from Peta back in the early 2000s encouraging a vegan diet for pets, including dogs and cats. That to me was critter abuse.
This.

Dogs are facultative carnivores. They can survive on a vegan diet, but are unlikely to thrive unless its massively supplemented. And you need to engage a nutritionist to ensure its a complete diet. Cats of course are obligate carnivores and feeding them entirely vegan is cruel.

Mountaindani

Arachnopeon
I once read it's cruel to keep dogs as pets. I was babysitting my fur grandson at the time. You have no idea how terrible I felt that I was denying him his rights. So I opened the door with tears in my eyes and told him to be free, as PETA says he needs to be. Be that wolf! He looked at me, turned around and jumped on my couch for afternoon his nap.
Could PETA be wrong?!?! I'm wondering now.