Rearing environment

lingonlei

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
since i ve tested it already, i can tell you for sure those farms dont work.

I used 6 pedes of mine in a 35x35 space. (lots of hides - lots of food)
2 laid eggs in slightly different time periods.
1 ate the eggs , 1 was eaten along with the eggs by the other.

I now reduced the number but i dont expect any better.

These farms have like 50 pedes per square meter, its impossible to breed and lay eggs without getting eaten. And i doubt chinese even feed them properly.
I think that you didn't succeed doesn't mean that they will fail.
With the local climate reproduce the centipede, humidity.
Wild centipede didn't so much.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
And i doubt chinese even feed them properly.
What kind of racist remark is this?

Just because you failed, does it mean others cannot succeed? In fact, the Chinese have been doing this for decades. What about you? Don't talk through your hat.

SAn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I didnt make ANY racist remark. Those "farms" are in china, so i said, chinese probably dont feed properly.
If you feel offended by it, thats your problem.

I also didnt say others cant succeed(it may happen is small pede populations) but i thought it would be nice to inform so others dont kill their pedes over it. ofc you dont need to pay attention to it, since you actually never took advice from anyone here and with your extreme experience in pede keeping, by all means go for it and prove me wrong.

Although till someone proves that even 20 pedes in 1 square meter can breed and give birth succesfully, i ll stick to the common logic, that its impossible.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I didnt make ANY racist remark. Those "farms" are in china, so i said, chinese probably dont feed properly.
If you feel offended by it, thats your problem.
Oh, so Greeks can feed their centipedes properly, and the Chinese cannot?

Is that not a racist remark? What's with the generalisation and the sweeping use of the term "Chinese" to describe just a handful of farmers?

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
you dont need to pay attention to it, since you actually never took advice from anyone here
Oh, yeah, right. I never took any advice. I continue to keep my centipedes in HORRIBLE conditions and yet they moult regularly in my care, don't have mites, don't have mycosis and are active every night. So very obviously, my centipedes are surely very unhappy.

SAn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh, so Greeks can feed their centipedes properly, and the Chinese cannot?

Is that not a racist remark? What's with the generalisation and the sweeping use of the term "Chinese" to describe just a handful of farmers?
what the hell?

If you wanna play with words go ahead and play.
You are like a baby craving for attention in every post you make.
Last time i bother my self with experts of your scale

lingonlei

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry, I hope this is just a discuss about centipede, rather than the other.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
what the hell?

If you wanna play with words go ahead and play.
You are like a baby craving for attention in every post you make.
Last time i bother my self with experts of your scale
"Every post I make"? Wow, you must be a massive fan of mine to read every single post I make on this forum. :clap:

venwu225

Arachnopeon
farms work and work exceptionally well. There is massive production in China of scolopendra mutilans, and they do it extremely well.

http://www.jtwg158.cn/default.htm

lets all do some research on the topic before we affirm the impossible.

The website has good information on egg rearing, they do it with concrete blocks that the females could choose to isolate themselves. You can't just leave the egg brooding female exposed to the general population.

It appears the farm owners learn to recognize gravid females and place them communally in a separate enclosure with top exposed concrete "cubicals". The females will select a situable one and stay in the cubicals, thus completing the raring process.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi venwu225, that's amazing, thanks for the link! I may be starting to understand more but I can only look at the pics and I can't read Chinese. I can't load the software for translation either for some reason. But when I see all those pedes, and because they are so inexpensive, it does make sense that they do actually farm them. Everybody think of how expensive it would be to collect 1000s of wild caught pedes, it just doesn't make as much sense that they would be wild caught and sold for so cheap. Can you read Chinese or read what it says translated? Since it is a business and if they breed and raise them, they might not want to fully explain how they do it because of competition.

szappan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
WOW! Great thread! Lots of useful information and great pics / vids. Thank you very much!

I guess this is where that "scolopendra cough medicine" comes from... or a place much like this.

(I can reload the front cover of the package later if anyone's interested.)