Reality check

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I would say it’s cruel because people pay a lot of money for these things in the pet trade trade but these people eat them for penny’s or whatever. But same thing happens in western nations and raising birds and mammals for food is just as cruel if not worse . Impressive scale they raise them in , I suppose in the wild they die eventually but they live longer than in a scorpion farm . I can’t can’t imagine eating a bug beside certain and not all seafood as some is gross or looks nasty. Great share !! Sad truth reality of these poor creatures. once wild animals now live in farm factories .
though at the rate these people eat inverts they could turn to catching wild ones causing major extinctions.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Now expand your thinking a little. Recall hearing about the Wuhan Live Market? There are thousands of live markets throughout Asia and we aren't talking about pigs, cows, chickens, ducks and rabbits. Think factory farms, from single households to large industries. And then the 'killed the day before market animals.

Last edited:

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
That was both horrific and informative. The pet owner in me was horrified but the conservation side of me and the side that knows about the live markets and how many of the creatures there come from the wild, is glad they are trying to find sustainable ways so that no longer happens.
I am torn.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Is that Mesobuthus or Hottentotta that they're farming? I think I saw at least two different species.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Is that Mesobuthus or Hottentotta that they're farming? I think I saw at least two different species.
Both, primarily. Selling venom for medical purposes dominates which is in greater demand and yields a higher income; thus factory farming production. The aspect I find the most abhorrent is the culling, both before and after the purpose for their production. All get slaughtered, but the vast majority are from meeting a strict criteria where as much as 99 out of 100 fail and are culled.
Grams of venom command prices as high as $100,000 US or more. Ethics don't enter into things in China, or nearly all of the third world.

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Both, primarily. Selling venom for medical purposes dominates which is in greater demand and yields a higher income; thus factory farming production. The aspect I find the most abhorrent is the culling, both before and after the purpose for their production. All get slaughtered, but the vast majority are from meeting a strict criteria where as much as 99 out of 100 fail and are culled
ouch it’s crazy how many thousands or millions of them they farm . Sad they All die and are eaten , they could make a fortune in the world pet trade .
Eventually the genetics 🧬 will fail too many are culled. But that already happened with mammals in America and they got ways to fix it .

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Both, primarily. Selling venom for medical purposes dominates which is in greater demand and yields a higher income; thus factory farming production. The aspect I find the most abhorrent is the culling, both before and after the purpose for their production. All get slaughtered, but the vast majority are from meeting a strict criteria where as much as 99 out of 100 fail and are culled.
Grams of venom command prices as high as $100,000 US or more. Ethics don't enter into things in China, or nearly all of the third world.
One can only hope that the leeches find their way into the beds of the scorpion farmers.