Ready to Mate?

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok, I think that I have established that my A. geniculata is a female. Click the link and look for my post at/near end of thread, to see the picture.

http://www.arachnopets.com/arachnoboards/showthread.php?s=&postid=36584#post36584

Anyways, how do I know when she is ready to mate? When she is ready to mate, what is the best way to acquire a male? What are my responsibilities to the person who lent the male, in case of death with or without fertilization. I guess most people do 50/50 splits. Any other info on this topic would be appreciated. Thanks.

Big Dragonfly

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Big Dragonfly,
There is no exact time to tell when a t is ready to mate. First of all size has alot to do with it. If your genic is of mature size then i would say she is ready. "Her sex organs" are very prominite so im assuming she is older. The best time I know to try to breed your t is 2-4 months after a molt. The female will be freash that way and probably wont molt for quite a while.

Its my understanding that in a 50/50 if the male is killed that there is no need for compinsation. I beleive its just a risk that will have to be taken, I know myself that i have lent males out that have been killed, with no compensation. The best thing that i can tell you is if and when you get a male is to watch them carfully.

Sincerely,

Brandon

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks Brandon.

So is there no deviation of behavior for the female, when ready? (Besides making an egg sac) I hear lots of people say that their males constantly pace their vivariums.

BD

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have an idea... what if you put your female in big cage with the male. put a glass sheet or whatever between them. I've heard the male does a mating dance or whatever and the female respond back. so if she respond back that means, she's ready to mate. I know it's a crazy idea but I'll do it someday.