Reactions to people seeing that you own a tarantula (s)

F1tarantula

Arachnopeon
First, I was part of the weird crowd for a while. That was probably the most annoying part about this. I was associated with tarantulas for a while. Then since I started talking about them less, others started associating me with other thing. Took me a while to go back into being friends with more popular people (not that they are what matter to me). Also my cousins text me whenever they need spider identification :rofl:. One good reaction though is that I recently becmae friends with someone who has an emperor scorpion, a leopard gecko, a chameleon, and some parakeets.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
First, I was part of the weird crowd for a while. That was probably the most annoying part about this. I was associated with tarantulas for a while. Then since I started talking about them less, others started associating me with other thing. Took me a while to go back into being friends with more popular people (not that they are what matter to me). Also my cousins text me whenever they need spider identification :rofl:. One good reaction though is that I recently becmae friends with someone who has an emperor scorpion, a leopard gecko, a chameleon, and some parakeets.
Reactions are varied - but generally the same mixture of responses across all people.

People do ask “why keep them you can’t hold them”

me- why do people keep fish?

person- “I don’t keep fish”

me- who cares what you think then

DO NOT ever let other peeps thoughts change your interest level.

Get a reptile or 2 or more 😉

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
What @viper69 said I couldn't agree more.

Don't let anyone make you feel like there's something wrong with you just because you have an interest in particular animals.

Look at it as you have more knowledge and better understanding than those who criticize you.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I know it's hard when you're younger, but in the long run who cares what these people think? Stay true to yourself and pursue what makes you feel happy and fulfilled. You'll meet friends along the way who share your interests. As for the reactions I've gotten, most people either act disgusted or are fascinated, with few reactions in between. I always enjoy talking about these creatures to anyone who shows interest. And for people who think it's weird, I couldn't care less.

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
Coworkers are almost always shocked. I usually get some satisfaction out of overwhelming them with spider information.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Coworkers are almost always shocked. I usually get some satisfaction out of overwhelming them with spider information.
Remind me one day to tell you a lengthy story of what happened at a job I used to have involving a female manager. It ended with her purposefully killing a wolf spider to spite me after I told her to leave it be and it was outside anyways.

Still mad about that too.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Wow. That's so sad. What a mean, spiteful person.
Story time folks.....
I used to work at a dog rescue out in the high desert and one day (when I wasn't there) someone found a MM Aphonopelma in the area around the building, said "Ewww that's disgusting," and smashed him. This guy wasn't known to be the nicest person. Karma got this guy, however. That same day he ordered McDonald's on the way home and ate fries/ chicken nuggets without washing his hands after cleaning dog kennels. He then caught Giardia and was having explosive diarrhea for days afterwards.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Story time folks.....
I used to work at a dog rescue out in the high desert and one day (when I wasn't there) someone found a MM Aphonopelma in the area around the building, said "Ewww that's disgusting," and smashed him. This guy wasn't known to be the nicest person. Karma got this guy, however. That same day he ordered McDonald's on the way home and ate fries/ chicken nuggets without washing his hands after cleaning dog kennels. He then caught Giardia and was having explosive diarrhea for days afterwards.
I love it.....so deserving such a great ending for that person, well deserved 🤣

Liquifin

Arachnoking
For me people ask less about the tarantulas and more so of the profit when it comes to the people around me. I tell them I don't make much money, but this something that I'm passionate about.

And that's really about it for now.

Pedipalpable

Arachnosquire
A lot of people seem terrified by the idea, but most are at least nice about it. Others are more intrigued. It seems to just depend on the person.

Remind me one day to tell you a lengthy story of what happened at a job I used to have involving a female manager. It ended with her purposefully killing a wolf spider to spite me after I told her to leave it be and it was outside anyways.

Still mad about that too.
That is horrific. What a vile, contemptible individual. Glad you don't work for her anymore. I know I certainly wouldn't want to!

Story time folks.....
Had to look that one up, as I didn't know what Giardia is. Looks some sort of alien jellyfish creature. But that is hilarious! I'd have been tempted to whistle the McDonald's "I'm lovin' it" jingle whenever he was near after that, just to annoy him. {D

Isopods others

Arachnoknight
When they hear about keeping invertebrates It's not really outright disgust but " Interesting, do you hold them?"
" nope"
" You just look at them?"
" yes"
" Why don't you get a 'real' pet like a cat"

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
I think most people that know me well would be more surprised if I didn't keep spiders. People that don't know me can mind their own business... For example, I was at a store last week, wearing one of my tarantula T-shirts, and the lady at the counter said "What is that on your shirt?" I replied, "It's a Pelinobius muticus in a threat posture.". She said "Oh", then I smiled and left.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
The ones that try to be nice and end up with a crooked smile on their face with bulging eyes are my favorite.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
All are fascinated with them.....and they know me.And i know them,so i judge who will be receptive and who will not.But,at the end of the day,it dosent matter how they react.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I still don't like telling people I used to have 300 (counting breed projects) tarantulas in my bedroom. People don't understand. Spiders mean nothing to most people beyond a source of revulsion and hate.

"Do you hold them?" "Have you ever been bitten?" "Do you keep them in the same cage?" "Do they ever escape?"

These are the most common replies IME

caedus511

Arachnopeon
I never started keeping T's until I was well past the point of caring what anyone thought about it...I don't miss those years.

That being said, the best reaction I've gotten so far was when a contractor was out doing measurements for our kitchen and saw an enclosure in the living room. Couldn't see the T inside at the time. He asked what we had in there. I told him it was a tarantula (keep in mind this is 1" sling) and I've never seen a man that large move that quickly from one side of a room to the other. :rofl:

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
For example, I was at a store last week, wearing one of my tarantula T-shirts,
Love it. My 10yo has (and regularly wears to school) a T shirt with a drawing of a cute brachy that says "save the land octopus" 🤣

He says most of the kids think it's kinda neat or a little bit weird but no big deal. I'm glad no one gives him a hard time about it.

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
It varies but I only show non tarantula people my prettiest and most docile species, like G pulchra, T albopilosus, and B emilia etc. They're intrigued to frightened, and seeing that you can pick em up and they don't immediately try to bite you confuses most. Sometimes I get questions like why do you keep em? Or how come they don't bite you?