Rattlesnake Tarantula

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've seen that video before. Its always awesome to watch! But I think that a lot of Australian Ts do this, not just this certain T.

kru008

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
pretty much most of the larger ts do this. And that is one pissed off t!! LOL!!

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Gotta love that Aussie spider attitude haha!I will say tho that most of my Australian tarantulas are pretty laid back.Much rather run and hide then start a fight!Would be really cool to raise some of these up!
-Chris

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
What genus is that? just got a stupid common name that says nothing.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I keep alot of Aussie's and I have not yet heard one of them rattle, bark, whistle, hiss, fart or produce any sound yet. Im not saying they wont, as none of mine have reached full size yet. Most of mine dart down there hole as soon as I get close to them as Chris mentioned.

This rattlesnake one is bad ass, Id love to raise some, although why would it mimic a rattlesnake when rattle snakes are not found in Australia ? Prob just a coincidence that they sound alike:?

Later, Tom

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
LOL!I've heard plenty of tarantulas stridulate here when threatened but never like that spider in the video.I'm guessing its not really trying to imitate anything but more or so has some rather special spines located on the stridulating organs.Also seems like this species has a serious attitude problem but I bet even these spiders will be more calm once there settled in with a burrow.
-Chris

AussieT

Arachnopeon
Its belongs to the Selenotholus genus (per Ravens up coming description). And we are just starting to get these guys going in the Aussie hobby at the moment. Steve Nunn should be exporting these guys soon I should imagine. The Rattlesnake sound is only found in this genus, however whilst nearly all genus' will stridulate (Phlogius, Selenotholus, Coremiocnemis and Selenotypus), all produce a different sound when they do so. Once they reach adulthood, your once placid little juvies will want to eat your face as we have witnessed over here in Oz with our adults.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,
This is perhaps one of the most interesting spiders from the entire Selenocosmiinae. It does not fit ANY known Australian genus, it is not closest related to other Australian genera, but nearer related to other Selenocosmiinae (can't elaborate for now) not found anywhere near Australia. The name is actually quite descriptive, when you hear one of these things stridulate it is ridiculous, the sound of a rattlesnake, hence the name. I think the name very appropriate actually, but common names, well, yeah, how good is any common name. It's no overestimation of the sound either, it's remarkable. If you haven't listened to that video, I'd suggest you do so, it's very interesting, no other tarantula is as noisy as this species. Further, they stridulate at any given opportunity. Where other species hardly ever make an aubible sound, this species is the opposite. I think a guy called Jason made that video, not sure, but that is the new species and the common name is more apt than some common names ;)

They are smallish, but absolutely unique on many levels. From a taxonomic aspect, they are more than just fascinating, they are a key group to better understand selenocosmiine biogeography. Dr Raven will be covering these eventually, there is more than one species known to him from this group.

But whatever you do, don't write these off as just another little brown jobbie ;)

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
awww i was all excited to see a T with a cute little rattle snake tail lol,
man that thing was stridulating like crazy ive never had mine that p'o. also if you listen closly you can hear him blowing like on the T and as said in tkg Ts take that as an predator investigating per say and well i guess that little guy didnt know what flight was so he was trying to fight. man i would hate for that to get ahold of me :razz:

gargoyl52

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That is so amazingly cool. I would definatly get some of those. Havnt dove intto the aussie Ts as of yet put plan to soon.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I absolutely love these little guys (from what I've read, anyway). I hope they can make their way somehow (legally) into the US hobby. Australian export laws being what they are I won't be holding my breath though.