Rate my NEW T setup (WITHOUT WOOD CHIPS!!!)

Sophistikeo

Arachnopeon
i laid out the rest of my coconut soil so there’s no more wood chips (shouldnt be, I might’ve missed some spots.) and I’m fully aware of me needing some plants for him, I’m saving up money to get some fake plants 😁 also I’m trying to get a new hut and water dish for him because this stuff is really old and I bet he needs new CLEAN stuff asap

Also you might see that his right back leg is skinny and lighter compared to the rest, I have no idea why, he was like that when I got him.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Cmac2111

Arachnomac
Arachnosupporter
How much height is there between the substrate and the top of the enclosure? From the perspective of these pics it looks to be a fair amount. For terrestrial species like Brachypelma, too much height in an enclosure can be especially dangerous as falls can deal them serious damage. No more than around 1.5x their body length in space between the level of the sub & the top of the enclosure is a recommended measurement that's always good to adhere to.
Also you might see that his right back leg is skinny and lighter compared to the rest, I have no idea why, he was like that when I got him.
It is like that because he has lost a leg previously, and it has regrown as he has molted. Eventually it will be exactly the same as all the other legs again.

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I try to cram as much dirt in as possible in at least one corner, leaving less than one leg span from the lid in that particular spot. You know where they hang out the most? That particular spot. They feel safe there, they seem to think there is a cricket dispenser there (I drill feeder holes), and as a result I always get to see them!

I still provide a hide, it's what they would use in nature, so I make it a goal to use it.

We can't stress this enough; if your T falls from too high it will rupture its abdomen and there will be no saving it.

When I see Ts with missing or regrown legs I assume first that it was a T that climbed and got stuck in a mesh lid. Your T may already be telling you he's going to make it to the top. It may be tonight, it may be in a month, but it's most likely going to happen sooner than later so prevention is best.

The fake plants can wait, safety first so spend the money on dirt. You can always check in at the dollar store for a cheap plant that will work. Your T won't care about aesthetics.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
How much height is there between the substrate and the top of the enclosure? From the perspective of these pics it looks to be a fair amount. For terrestrial species like Brachypelma, too much height in an enclosure can be especially dangerous as falls can deal them serious damage. No more than around 1.5x their body length in space between the level of the sub & the top of the enclosure is a recommended measurement that's always good to adhere to.

It is like that because he has lost a leg previously, and it has regrown as he has molted. Eventually it will be exactly the same as all the other legs again.
I think I lost one with only 6” fall space once and it was about that legspan. I’m still using the same wood though soemoen
I try to cram as much dirt in as possible in at least one corner, leaving less than one leg span from the lid in that particular spot. You know where they hang out the most? That particular spot. They feel safe there, they seem to think there is a cricket dispenser there (I drill feeder holes), and as a result I always get to see them!

I still provide a hide, it's what they would use in nature, so I make it a goal to use it.

We can't stress this enough; if your T falls from too high it will rupture its abdomen and there will be no saving it.

When I see Ts with missing or regrown legs I assume first that it was a T that climbed and got stuck in a mesh lid. Your T may already be telling you he's going to make it to the top. It may be tonight, it may be in a month, but it's most likely going to happen sooner than later so prevention is best.

The fake plants can wait, safety first so spend the money on dirt. You can always check in at the dollar store for a cheap plant that will work. Your T won't care about aesthetics.
i started giving most my terrestrials deep enough sub to burrow and around there legpsan to lid from sub or max 1.5x for heavy ones .