Random, Non- Urgent T questions

boina

Lady of the mites
@Venom1080 @Sarkhan42

Here's a very recent and very comprehensive paper on the digestive processes of spiders, using A. geniculata as one of the test subjects. It states that venom injection is the first step of digestion.

The venom of tarantulas (and other spiders) contains quite a few proteinases - enzymes for protein digestion. (Another citation, unfortunately only the abstract is free).

(Edit, for @Sarkhan42 - I didn't use Google for the search but pubmed, gives you more relevant results)

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Opinions on flooding technique to remove pet holes from burrows?
I've heard mix results for it, so personally I wouldn't try it. For getting obligate burrowers or fossorial species out I've heard that just scooping the substrate out can work well.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Opinions on flooding technique to remove pet holes from burrows?
Terrible. The so called 'flooding technique' (as if something like that can be viewed as a 'technique') is terrible.

To rehouse/transfer a 'pet hole' isn't different from rehouse/transfer the average chubby terrestrial Theraphosidae: 'you' just need to deal with more substrate, and nothing else.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
How bigs your gbb?

Perhaps.

So the venom immobolizes prey in seconds? Crickets stop moving almost instantly when hit by a large spider.
My GBB is a sling. It will tackle some moving prey portions, e.g. a section of a meal worm, but would not engage the moving cricket portion as it was approximately the same size. It moved in on it, but as I stated, would not engage.

T. venom specifically consists of different polypeptides and is considered a neurotoxin (Perret, 1973; Lee et al., 1974; Escoubas et al., 2000). So, in answer to your question, yes a neurotoxin will paralyze in seconds. Size of the specimen vs. the size of prey is going to play a significant part in the equation also. For example, my juvie G. Iheringi will hit a cricket and it will almost immediately cease moving. However, my sub-adult A. Geniculata tagged a large discoid roach last week and that thing kicked for half an hour.

MantisRCool

Arachnopeon
Aye. Flooding so you can look at it. That's the one.

@KrystalG I wouldn't bother. Even if it works you have a cage full of mud to throw out. Digging out slowly is the way to go.
I saw a funny video on this from Tom Moran, it was a muddy mess!! :D gona rehouse my C. lividus soon so I know what method I’m not using for sure lol

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Common sense.. always thought it was more for defense. NWs have their hair, ows have their speed and venom. Venoms not something to be used lightly either, hence why dry bites sometimes occur.. perhaps if they have a big enough prey item.

I always assumed it worked like this for a very long time.
Toxins are indeed an energy intensive type of protein to make.

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
Terrible. The so called 'flooding technique' (as if something like that can be viewed as a 'technique') is terrible.

To rehouse/transfer a 'pet hole' isn't different from rehouse/transfer the average chubby terrestrial Theraphosidae: 'you' just need to deal with more substrate, and nothing else.
Sounds good! I've never done it, but I saw a video on it and was wondering the opinions.

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
Has anyone ever fed crickets that have injested Flukers cricket diet or other food substances like that to tarantulas? I know its safe for reptiles, obviously, but is it okay for spiders?

Mychajlo

Arachnosquire
Has anyone ever fed crickets that have injested Flukers cricket diet or other food substances like that to tarantulas? I know its safe for reptiles, obviously, but is it okay for spiders?
I’ve used that for my crickets a couple times and they seem fine, just extra nutrients going from the cricket to the T, I would say, if anyone else has contradicting opinions I’d love to hear

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
Is 85 degrees F too hot for tarantulas? I keep my room between 75-80 degrees, but its been climbing recently. Is that too hot?