random musings

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi all,
Well, I had 2 things revealed to me last night. I thought that I'd lost my remaining parahybana. I hadn't seen it, and the holes aren't big enough to escape out of. I kept occasionally seeing a tiny, round hole, in the substrate. So, last night, I held the container very close to my eye. I shined a flashlight on it, and I saw a fuzzy leg. Not a withered, fuzzy leg, but a healthy looking leg. So, apparently, its alive. *phew*
On a sadder front, I think my tigerrump isn't alive. In the past, there have been times where I've been "feeding the substrate" with this one. No biggie, she's decided to burrow down. Last 2 times I've fed her, nothing was eaten. There is the option of digging her up, but I feel really bad doing that.
How often does everyone feed their slings? Since I've first started, I've fed mine twice a week. I want to draw a fine balance between feeding too much, and speeding up their lifespans, to feeding enough for growth.
Also, I have some cool deli dishes, that I wanted to convert for my RAPIDLY growing albopilosum slings. Question is, how do I put ventilation holes in them? Is a soldering iron too hot?
Thanks...
Peace,
Gillian

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Re: the tigerrump - Last time mine went under the carpet for that long, I had assumed it dead as well. Actually, it molted under there, and though it came out rather shrunken looking, all was fine once I had lifted the substrate web up. A day later, it was back topside again, and has been since. How long has it been now since you've last seen it?

As for the cups, if they are thin enough, just use something sharp and poke holes. A soldering iron will work, but you'll find the more you use it to melt plastic the nastier the tip gets and the larger holes it starts to make.

Bill

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

I seldom feed more than once every two weeks. Nor do my spiders tend to eat excessively, so im careful with food lest it turn to mold in some burrow.

Digging up T's can be a pain, but i do it every now and then to see relative growth. My H.gigas managed to grow about 3" larger then it was before i dug it up.

-V

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is the one of the exact reasons I never let my T's dig their own burrows. I make one for them to adopt and it has the benefits of

A) Safety... this is a solid burrow that can't ever cave in

B) I can always check inside when I need to with little or no stress to the spider.

The spiders usually add their own homey touches... but the base design always stays the same.

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Thanks guys,
My tigerrump has been underground for a little over 2 weeks.
:( She was doing really well, before going underground, too. As for the feeding of lings, the ones I'm talking about are very tiny..you can barely see them. The others are sling/juvies..
Peace,
Gillian