raising young pokies

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
what kind of enclosures do you guys use to raise pokies, i'm talking like 1''-1.5'' do you think raising them in the viles they come in will be to small?, just worried about them being able to catch food, and being able to keep a close on them, thanks--Jeff

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

have any of you guys/girls ever bought the largest viles from thorton plastics? or any of the nice sized one? could you possbly post a pic of one with something for comaprison, thanks--Jeff

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I use the clear Rubbermaid plastic spice jars. They come in all sizes. Currently, the 1.5-2" range slings are in the 10oz tall square ones. The P formosa, at well over 2", is now in a 1/2 gallon one (I think), as is the A versicolor

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

i need to find 6 of those, we don't seem to have them here , maybe i'm not looking in the right places, could you possibly post a pic? i know i'm probaly being annoying as this was covered sometime before , sorry for any incovienence i 'm getting 6 1.5'' pokies next week and want to put them in the best conditions i can, how much do those containers normaly cost?--Jeff

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Jeff,
my other half took off with the camera for the weekend, so I can't take pics. I will go through and see if I have any already, and if so, I'll post them.
Prices vary, from about $2 all the way up to $10 or so for a large pickle jar.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
here you go, not the best pic, but it will give you an idea. Just measured the P formosa, and she's 3"

Last edited:

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

cool that would be great, thanks, i am so excited about getting these pokies and i only sent out for them yesterday,lol, god the wait is the worst, as soon as i get them pics are going up, i may just take pics in a little of my eart tigers too, thanks --Jeff

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

cool, now i know i need some of those, do they sell those online anywhere you know of?--Jeff

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
guess this is a very stupid question but ...
what is a pokie??

Ðennis

Cronoss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Re: re

Originally posted by Weapon-X
have any of you guys/girls ever bought the largest viles from thorton plastics? or any of the nice sized one? could you possbly post a pic of one with something for comaprison, thanks--Jeff

Jeff,
i use all the different size viles from thorton plastics.
they work good pokies untill they are about 2".then i use
the tall 4" deli untill they are about 4".then they go in a tall custom made tank.
hope this helps
Bryan

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by dennie
guess this is a very stupid question but ...
what is a pokie??

Ðennis
It's not a stupid question:) . Pokie is short for the genus Poecilotheria. These are the spiders sold under the common name of ornamental tarantula.
Mike

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: re

Originally posted by Weapon-X
i need to find 6 of those, we don't seem to have them here , maybe i'm not looking in the right places, could you possibly post a pic? i know i'm probaly being annoying as this was covered sometime before , sorry for any incovienence i 'm getting 6 1.5'' pokies next week and want to put them in the best conditions i can, how much do those containers normaly cost?--Jeff
I've seen spice containers that would do the trick near supermarket bulk spice cases.