Raising mealworms?? Tips ?

WhiteMoss

Arachnosquire
For my mealworm colony I keep the beetles and worms in Tupperware on a thin layer of dry topsoil with some egg carton pieces
1000001638.jpg
I pick out and pupae and put them in a separate small container until they emerge as beetles and I wait for them to brown up a bit before introducing them to the beetles container. *note there isn't many beetles as I've been feeding off all my feeders. I have waayy too many of many varieties lol.

Your issues of mold could be multiple things. All easy to correct.
Number one; stay away from bran or oats as bedding. Bran is less likely to mold, but I found after so long from all the excrement, it starts to smell and with feeders that start out this small, the fewer sub changes, the better.
Number two; keep their substrate dry. It doesn't effect their breeding whatsoever and only increases your chances of mold.
Number three; keep their food simple. I stick to lettuce and carrots. They tend to dry up before they will mold. But I usually give fresh daily, picking out the uneaten stuff and feed it to a feeder that will consume it in their daily feeding.

I'm not sure what happened to your pupae in that pic where they're black, but I saw something about misting. Nothing needs to misted. Also if your using lids - I don't. I just make sure whatever their in has sides too high for them to get out.- make sure you lids are extremely well ventilated. The lids I use for my ants would work well and they're EXTREMELY cheap to make. I'll post a Pic, but you basically cut out a section of the lid and hot glue landscaping fabric (one roll can make hundreds of lids) over the opening.

1000001639.jpg 1000001640.jpg 1000001641.jpg

FlamingSwampert

Arachnosquire
For my mealworm colony I keep the beetles and worms in Tupperware on a thin layer of dry topsoil with some egg carton pieces
View attachment 473942
I pick out and pupae and put them in a separate small container until they emerge as beetles and I wait for them to brown up a bit before introducing them to the beetles container. *note there isn't many beetles as I've been feeding off all my feeders. I have waayy too many of many varieties lol.

Number one; stay away from bran or oats as bedding. Bran is less likely to mold, but I found after so long from all the excrement, it starts to smell and with feeders that start out this small, the fewer sub changes, the better.
Number two; keep their substrate dry. It doesn't effect their breeding whatsoever and only increases your chances of mold.
Number three; keep their food simple. I stick to lettuce and carrots. They tend to dry up before they will mold. But I usually give fresh daily, picking out the uneaten stuff and feed it to a feeder that will consume it in their daily feeding.

I'm not sure what happened to your pupae in that pic where they're black, but I saw something about misting. Nothing needs to misted. Also if your using lids - I don't. I just make sure whatever their in has sides too high for them to get out.- make sure you lids are extremely well ventilated. The lids I use for my ants would work well and they're EXTREMELY cheap to make. I'll post a Pic, but you basically cut out a section of the lid and hot glue landscaping fabric (one roll can make hundreds of lids) over the opening.

View attachment 473943 View attachment 473944 View attachment 473945
I second this. I also use a similar lid for my beetles and mealworms.

On another note, what is the white stuff in your substrate? Is it vermiculite?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
View attachment 473942

View attachment 473943 View attachment 473944 View attachment 473945
I got an issue where I couldn’t remove beetles from worms because they hatched too soon. IMG_8900.jpeg IMG_8901.jpeg